Storing sealants cartridges, especially silicone.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by JulianH, Feb 8, 2005.

1. JulianH

JulianH New Member

I only use silicone and other sealant cartridges occasionally but despite always covering the nozzle of part used cartridges(with selotape and/or masking tape or similar) the next time I come to use it, the sealant has dried in the nozzle.

Only a minor problem but can anyone offer any tips on avoiding this problem.

Thanks.

2. towser

towser New Member

Hi, I've had the same problem and the best I've found is to put the end of the nozzle into a small poly bag and then squeeze a little of the tube into the corner of the bag so it covers the end part of the nozzle. Seal the bag to the outside of the nozzle as best you can with a bit of tape. When you come to re-use the tube you just break off the (by now) SET stuff and away you go. It works for me most of the time

3. truckmac

truckmac New Member

Stick a screw in the end of the nozzle.

Not too tight or you'll distort the nozzle but tight enough for the threads to fill up with silicone. This bit'll set and seal the rest from the air.

When you want to use the sealer, pull the screw out and a little plug of set sealer will come out with it. Don't unscrew the screw because the set sealer will stay in the nozzle if you do. Squeeze the trigger to get fresh stuff at the nozzle and you're away.

btw use a brass screw for silicone because, if you're storing it for a longish period, the acetic acid in the silicone will react with a steel screw and start rusting it.

4. screwfox

screwfox New Member

Screwfix sell just the nozzles, 99p for twelve (item number 84994), I just throw away the used one and start with a fresh nozzle.

5. simwall

simwall New Member

Screwfox has got the best idea, buy a load and just chuck 'em away if they get blocked, another way thast i used to seal them is to use a lid from a felt tip pen - make sure sure it does not have any holes in the end!

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Two things I've done with these.
    You know those old fashioned rubber tap 'swirls' that used to go on the tap end (about 4" long swirls), well I filled the small end with silicon to seal it up, and now I just plop it on the end of the nozzle and it stops it going off for a lot longer(provides a really good seal).
    Other thing(being a tightwad)just chuck the nozzle in a box and on another day(when it's all set) give it a good squeeze and bend about, screw a screw into the bottom, and yank the silicon straight out(9 times out of 10)

Handyandy - really