straining/ mixing paint

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by 3"CastIron, Oct 11, 2007.

1. 3"CastIron

3"CastIron New Member

ok i have done a search but can find no posts relating to my question.

1. how do you gents (and ladies) go about straining old tins of paint to ensure no bits.

2. was looking to buy a drill attachment for approx a tenner to stir emulsion but fancy making something up myself... any ideas appreciated.

2. wow..a tenner?

do you reuse your toilet paper too?

3. smilertac

smilertac New Member

hi
    i use a pair of tights to strain the paint
    hope this helps
    and no they are not mine he he

4. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

i dont use old paint,I always tend to leave any part used tins on the job, no point keeping it especialy with all the varied shades about.

The only paints I keep a stock of are primer/undercoat, Zinser, Undercoat, gloss, satinwood. These paints I get through at a good rate so my stock is kept fresh.

5. Telmay

Telmay New Member

Like gardm1nt I don't hang on to the old stuff or you just end up loads of old rubbish in no time. You can get paint mixers for drills for less then a tenner, but if you want to construct something then crack on mate

6. mardyoldgit

mardyoldgit New Member

I'm same, always leave mixed-up colours on job, take Maggy and white with me.
    You dont really need a drill attachment to mix up emulsion, you can buy plastic paint stirrers for about a quid from any large DIY store, or if you're like me use owt at hand! Recommend pouring the full tin into a paint scuttle then stirring, because more often then not the machine will never have stirred it right and pigment is usually all on the inside of the tin.

7. Welsh Decorator 42

Welsh Decorator 42 New Member

The only place that I have seen any paint strainers for sale was a while back at Wright's of Lymm, it might be wort you while doing a Goggle on them.

Mixer wise, dont waste your time, it's cheaper to by and easyer.

8. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

3"CastIron :
    Tights/nylons, to sieve oil paint and an ordinary kitchen metal sieve is good for emulsion.

I use both these methods as I don't throw anything away ;)

9. paintycait

paintycait New Member

I use tights to strain oil paints but rather than stretch them over the pot I have a wooden frame that sits on top of the pot..it has 4 wee pins and I stretch the tights across that..it means you don't end up squeezing out a toe of paint which for some reason I hate...I leave the emulsions on site as a rule...keeps me the right side of the waste carrier regs as much as anything. If I have to strain it I use a bit of window screen on the same frame.

10. The Dormouse

The Dormouse New Member

I've been using a home made drill attachment for about 20 years. It has two rectangular aluminium blades bent into rough propeller shapes in opposite directions, threaded on to a length of 2BA threaded rod & held with 2BA nuts each side, one at the bottom & the other about 2" up.

Probably easier & quicker to make than describe. Immerse it fully before starting the drill not too fast & stop before taking it out. Spin clean it in the garden & let it dry.

No doubt this will cause much amusement among non tight gitters.

11. 3"CastIron

3"CastIron New Member

thanks for all the replies.....all very helpful.

regards :)

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Old net curtains let the paint through a bit faster.

Stir with a stick.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

13. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

A solid aluminium rod makes a good stirer and you can wipe it off and ree use. Mine was rescued off a computer table!

14. jcts

jcts Active Member

i dont use old paint,I always tend to leave any part
    used tins on the job, no point keeping it especialy
    with all the varied shades about.

The only paints I keep a stock of are
    primer/undercoat, Zinser, Undercoat, gloss,
    satinwood. These paints I get through at a good rate
    so my stock is kept fresh.

pretty much what i do. however you can find good sieves at merchants for this

15. jolly bodger

jolly bodger New Member

Only keep a stock of the basics, certainly no coloureds

Only time I've strained anything was when I dropped a can of woodstain upside down, and managed to scoop 80% of it into a paint scuttle...(Used a pair of tights, BTW, and boy was I in trouble afterwards...:D)

As for stirring paints, - I use whatever's to hand.

P.S. For mixing filler I use a basic 2 ltr measuring jug and a cheap kitchen whisk from Asda/Tesco etc. Much faster to mix up and ever so easy to clean...my top-tip for the night...;)