Strange coloured wiring to ceiling light

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Keith75, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Keith75

Keith75 New Member

I was looking at changing a ceiling light fitting only to find the existing supply cable consisted of a yellow, dark blue and green wire. Wondering has anyone came across this before? Replaced the light fitting as per existing with green to earth, dark blue to neutral and yellow to live. Light working ok but concerned with possibility of reverse polarity. Any advice most welcome.

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Lamps don't care about polarity.

3. Keith75

Keith75 New Member

Appreciate it will still work. Ceiling light rather than lamp of a socket. Just concerned if changing bulb and light switch doesn't stop power to the light.

4. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

The only problem you may have with polarity is the type of bulbs. If they are the screw in type then the live should be connected to the centre terminal of the bulb ,neutral to the outer. If reversed ,then the outer metal casing of the bulb would be live , though it would still function in so much as the bulb would still work.

Keith75 likes this.
  5. Keith75

Keith75 New Member

Bulbs are halogen with 2 prongs that twist to hold in place.

6. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Then you have no real need to worry they are not polarity sensitive.

Keith75 likes this.
  7. Keith75

Keith75 New Member

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

8. Keith75

Keith75 New Member

Sorry to be a pest. Would the colours dark blue equate to Neutral, green to earth and yellow live ?

9. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

That could well be the case Keith, especially if 2 way switching is involved. I changed a pendant this morning where the live was yellow, (although that wasn't 2 way!)

Keith75 likes this.
  10. Keith75

Keith75 New Member

Thanks for the advice. Cheers.

11. Keith75

Keith75 New Member

Was a pendant light I replaced too.