Strange happenings with my door…

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Not Too Sure, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Not Too Sure

Not Too Sure Member

Yesterday I changed the handle on my front door and the lock etc. was left in place and something strange has happened!!!

Before if I push closed the front door (without the key), the door could not be opened from the outside unless you had a key. Now however, unless the door has been locked with a key, the door can be opened from the outside just using the handle.

Not sure what I’ve done here, any ideas???

Pics below of my new handle (still has to be fully screwed) - the old handle had a thumb lock where I have coloured the bit in red…this simply used to force the latch to stay completely in its recess so the door could be pushed open without any latch engagement…I’ve shown pics of the old thumb lock too…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PS Sorry wasn’t sure which forum to put this into, so mods please do move if incorrect.

2. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

Did you change the handle spindle as well?
    Sounds like you might have changed out the split spindle for a standard bar.

Not Too Sure likes this.
  3. Not Too Sure

Not Too Sure Member

Thank you !!! I think this is it as I recall two bars - I thought maybe I had broken it in two!!!

Is there any way I can change the standard to split…is it as simple as cutting it ?

4. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

Split spindles are design to closed door then you can’t open from outside with out key to unlock you after buy can’t be made

5. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

If you still have it just refit the old spindle

Not Too Sure likes this.
  6. Not Too Sure

Not Too Sure Member

Just to close this one off - it was indeed a splint spindle, but I had to get an offset handle too…

thanks for helping :)