Straw poll on self cert. One for the electricians here

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by The Trician, Jan 30, 2004.

1. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Are there any practising electricians here who are:

A) Sole trader status.

B)NOT accredited, or affiliated to any organisation.

C) Who, when and where required, presently issue electrical certification for any or all of the work they do?

Just asking the question out of interest.

Also, who do you have your public liability insurance with and are there any clauses or sub clauses which preclude you from issuing any form of what could be construed as 'written proof of liability in the form of test certification?

2. Zeperlyn

Zeperlyn New Member

Hi,
    Im self employed, un-acreadited and i issue certificates for all work that i do.

Why ?

Zep.

3. andyboy

andyboy New Member

i am sole trader and dont give any certification, and dont care lol.

4. supersparky

supersparky New Member

yes
    no
    charge if they want one where its not a MUST
    no

ss

5. Zeperlyn

Zeperlyn New Member

Im sorry to go on about this but im still a bit unclear on some points. When this Part P comes in if i want to certify ill have to be a member of an ORG. like the NIC. Right ? Does anyone have any idea if there going to bring in new catogries for self employed Sparks cos looking at there entry requirments there a bit of a joke ( for the self employed ) £300 quid a year ? and they want to see 3 completed jobs 1 in progress and 1 minor works. I dont know about you lot but i aint convinced my customers are going to be happy if i turn up at there door with a man from the NIC to come and b*gger around with there cableing !?! Any thoughts anyone?

Zep

6. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Hi,
    Im self employed, un-acreadited and i issue
    certificates for all work that i do.

Why ?

Zep.

Nothing sinister zep, I'm just trying to get an idea as to how many non NIC/ECA sole trader electricians are already self certifying. I was also wondering what implications there may be for changes in public liability insurance cover. Will they still provide? Or limit cover unless you become an 'Approved Contractor' via membership of one of the above? If you can still get insurance without becoming a member, will there be limitations as to the exact nature of the work you can/cannot carry out.
    Just one to think about for the future that's all:)

7. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Are there any practising electricians here who are:

A) Sole trader status.
    Yes I am

B)NOT accredited, or affiliated to any organisation.
    yes but cheque for NIC went away the other day

C) Who, when and where required, presently issue
    electrical certification for any or all of the work
    they do?
    Yes I do,thats a compliance with BS 7671, we issue certs for our work(I do anyway)

Just asking the question out of interest.

Also, who do you have your public liability insurance
    with and are there any clauses or sub clauses which
    preclude you from issuing any form of what could be
    construed as 'written proof of liability in the form
    of test certification?

have 2 Million PLI,no probs

8. Kipster

Kipster New Member

will there be limitations as to the exact nature of the work you can/cannot carry out.

When i got my LI they didnt ask anything electrical wise like Status, or being a member of any organisation, the only thing i was asked was if id be doing any work at heights, like aerial rigging.
    I renewed my LI today and its gone up nearly 50% :( B****s

9. The Trician

The Trician New Member

Kipster -
    Just as a matter of interest - what is your premium now?

Mine was £110 with the CO-OP in Sept 03 and that was for £5 million.

Out of the guys who have replied to my initial psot so far, who do you insure with? If you don't mind me asking:)

Have any of you who have recently renewed your policies, had questions asked of you by the companies concerned about Part P?

10. Kipster

Kipster New Member

Kipster -
    Just as a matter of interest - what is your premium now?

Last year when i started up by myself it was £74 now its £110 with AXA and thats only 1 million, looks like ill shop around now.

and for the original question.

A) Yes

B) Not yet,and dont really want to waste my money

C) Rewires Obviously and biggish jobs, but when you add an extra socket(s)/ Light(s) customers say "WTF is this" I say its a minor works cert guvnor then they bin it, so now ill only give them a cert if they ask.
    As for part P im sure i read somewhere it does not apply to Scotland ? could be wrong...

11. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

As for part P im sure i read somewhere it does not apply to Scotland ? could be wrong...

It won't, but that's because Scotland already has rules like it, and one of the things that Part P will do is to bring England & Wales into line with Scotland.

But don't take my word for it - ask GwaiLo - he knows nothing about Scotland.

Oh BAD bas - shouldn't have gone there....