Stripping Briwax to use Osmo Oil??

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Kaboo, Aug 10, 2021.

1. Kaboo

Kaboo Member

Hi everyone,
    I have 8 original oak doors in my new home. These are from 1930s that were stripped off paint by the previous residents and then treated by Briwax. I think they look grubby, especially the kitchen and bathroom doors and need a clean+refresh.

Over the years we have preferred using Osmo oil for everything related to wood. Just because its so easy to apply and maintain. So we were thinking to remove Briwax and apply Osmo Door Oil. For that Osmo tech support advised removing Briwax with spirits and then lightly sand. It will be a lot of work to remove Briwax from 8 doors amid the full internal redecoration (except the floors) for a 4 bed semi that we are doing on our own... So here are my questions and would love to have some advice.
    1. Since its going to be significant amount of work - is it better to just refresh Briwax? Will it be easier?
    2. How durable and protective is Briwax compare to Osmo? We have no experience with any other finish!
    3. If we do end up deciding Osmo, would stripping Briwax with White/Methylated spirit cause damage to the veneer panel on the door?

Look forward to your suggestions. I will post the same on carpenter's talk too. Many thanks.