Stripping wallpaper border with layers of paint

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Katherine, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Katherine

Katherine New Member

I am stripping wallpaper border in the middle of the wall all around the room. It has stripped off the wallpaper and 2 layers of paint. Part of the paint is flaking off once i use a scraper on it. What's the best thing to do? As it's not the whole wall is just in the middle of the wall on all the walls in the room. It has come up patchy, with parts of old paint, and through to plasterboard. What is the best solution before I start painting the walls?
    Can I sand the edges and use primer and paint
    Or use easi fill and sand and paint.

If prime what the best to use? Could I water down contract matt paint from valspar? 20190112_160715.jpg 20190112_160738.jpg

2. Wayners

Wayners Well-Known Member

Sand over to remove paste then apply this. Sand again.. Try putting sander on vacuum. They sell filler in a few sizes

3. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Why not continue and strip off the whole wall, also how did you tackle a similar flakey paint problem 18 months ago?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Isitreally likes this.
  4. Wayners

Don't go digging and creating more work. Many surfaces can be stripped back but why would you.

5. Katherine

Katherine New Member

Yeah i can only strip as much as I did on the walls, where the border was. But thank you I will be getting the smoothing filler.
    Will I need to get a primer and primer it after? And primer the whole walls?
    What the best primer to get?

6. Wayners

Use some acrylic primer under waterbased..any.. Probably just over the filler but they state you don't have to on filler data sheet but I do though

7. Katherine

Katherine New Member

Amazing. I will have to go and have a look. Would you recommend just painting over the old paint on the walls. With No primer? As it was previously magnolia and chocolate brown? I have valspar contract matt white will that do the job? Just painting over all walls. I have natural slate dulux paint for 2 walls

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

You’re certainly on the right track here with your repair method, ie, fill, sand, prime, paint but, a bit more detail for you :)

Give area good wash down to remove any paste residue, this will play havoc with the paint finish. Hot sugar soap solution and nylon pan scourer is good for this. Keep washing until wall no longer feels sticky. Final wash down with clean water, allow to dry

Sand down edges of paint to remove last of the flaky lose bits and help filler blend in

EasiFill is good, or Toupret. Get yourself a tapping knife, around £8 from SF, it’s a wade blade scraper in essence that is efficient in applying filler over a wide area

Sand down, P120, don’t have to get repair perfect in 1 hit, can apply 2nd touch up of filler where needed. Use a hand sander to get a flat perfect repair. Bit of scrunched up sand paper will end up with hollows in the filler

Run ur fingers over repaired area without looking at wall, you shouldn’t be able to feel where repair starts/finishes. Any lumps, bumps, ridges etc will be highlighted when you paint. Go for a perfect repair, materials are cheap and as diy, our labour is free

As you say, you need to ‘prime’ the area now although this step is called a ‘mist coat’. So yes, watered down matt emuslion (no vinyl or silk emuslion here thank you :))

Overlap repair area with mist coat, don’t need to be too accurate here, just feather out edges of mist coat so again no paint ridges to show up

If painting wall using a roller, then apply mist coat with a roller, if painting with a brush, then use a brush throughout

So, mist coat repair area, allow to dry, take a good look at area from all angles and again, run your fingers over wall. Mist coat has a handy habit of showing up any less than perfect areas that you may have missed

If this is the case, then again, fill, sand, mist coat these areas

When happy with repair (remember, go for perfection :), light rub down with P180 paper

Now you ready to paint wall and should have a seamless invisible repair - good luck

9. Astramax

In all respect DIYDave & Wayners...................it would be far quicker and probably less expense to strip the lot off and re-line the walls .

10. Katherine

Katherine New Member

Thank you. I will do that. Do you know if I could water down contract matt from valspar?

11. Astramax

Follow instructions on container for thinning ratio's.

12. Wayners

Line the walls... That's naff

13. Astramax

I should have gone to Goggles4U, I now see what she has done now, I thought the walls were papered, mistake was made at the start where she should of cut through the top and bottom of the border with a straight edge and a craft knife that way the border removal would have been restrained between the two cut lines.

Wayners likes this.
  14. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

In a nutshell YES

Any matt emuslion can be used for a mist coat, as in my post, just not vinyl or silk emuslion

I’ve not used Valspar myself so can’t comment on its quality but yep if that’s what uv got, then use it

Just thin with clean cold water, single cream consistency I go for and mix well. So after diluting, if you pick up your stirrey stick out of the paint, the paint should run off in a thin stream. So thicker than water, less thick than dbl cream

Some peeps give 2 mist coats, some 1. Thing is, the mist coat is just to seal new plaster or filler. It will dry up patchy, not solid white - that’s the job of the paint coats, to give a solid paint finish

So don’t be alarmed if mist coat dries patchy. Main thing is to go for a really good, or better still, perfect repair. Any dodgy bits after filling will be highlighted by painting

Yes, flat matt emuslion will help to hide a little bit here and there as it reflects less light than a paint with a sheen / gloss finish but really, you can’t hide a dodgy repair with paint - just doesn’t work

As I said, materials are cheap (filler), just take your time and be patient. Any areas you feel not happy with, then just fill, sand, mist coat again to improve on

The resulting finish will be worth it and you will get a great sense of satisfaction :)