Stripping wallpaper removes some skim

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Sarumboy, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Sarumboy

Sarumboy New Member

When this house was built, the walls were painted. I later wallpapered. Now I come the strip the wallpaper, large chunks of paint/skim plaster come off with the paper, no matter how careful I am.
    This leaves islands of 'unskimmed' plaster.
    Do I need to remove the rest of the paint/skim coat or can I re-skim over the lot after applying PVA?
    Suggestions appreciated.
    David.

2. blarblarblarblar

blarblarblarblar Active Member

You won’t have to remove the lot as long as what you leave is sound, fixed and in no way loose. Blue grit has become my preferred choice rather that pva.

Good luck, fairly simple to rectify

Sarumboy likes this.
  3. Sarumboy

Sarumboy New Member

Thanks for that. Anything that's unsound is easy to flick off.
    Also thanks for the Blue Grit suggestion, I'll use that.
    Regards,
    David.

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Are you using a steamer to strip paper ?

Or just soaking with a cloth/sponge

5. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

If grit coat required I use PVA watered down 1 to 4 and make a slurry with builders sand

6. Sarumboy

Sarumboy New Member

Just water, either brushed or spray bottle and a good soak time.. I think that when plastered, there was no mist coat applied.
    No matter how gentle I am, the painted plaster sticks to the wall paper more than the skim adheres to the base plaster.
    The whole house is the same where there are solid walls. The few drywall parts are no trouble.