structual steel calcs

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by lofter, Nov 28, 2003.

1. lofter

lofter New Member

hi,i am going to be doing my own loft conversion , which is not a problem as i do them for a living,what i want to do is my own drawing to save myself architect costs but i need help to get the structual size of the steels i will need,i have heard of a computer program called "super steel" or something similar and was hoping someone could let me know where i could get it from .thanks

2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

lofter

A computer program alone is not going to help you. You need to have a good understanding of the loading to apply to the beams/columns/joists and how load is distributed over the structure...you then ned to know how to interpret the information..my advice is get the architect or engineer to do it....I am a trained structural engineer and NO i am not interested in doing the work thanks all the same.

3. supersparky

supersparky New Member

and how many other things are you? i thaught you were just a sparks.....now SE aswell!! and ur doin leccy work and ur an SE aint der more money in that?

BR

4. lofter

lofter New Member

thanks anyway "unphased" i do know all the stresses involved inc- joist sizes relevent to the span and how the pitch and length and tile type will affect the size and ub or uv value of steels and their sizes. i could choose the easy route a give a vague drawing to local planning and let them tell me what they want,but it would be handy for me to know so i can do my own drawings in future and save myself from having to hire "architects" who do not have a true understanding of what is involved with this line of work

5. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

LOL...

In truth I am changing career having been a civil/structural engineer for a number of years and been made redundant for the second time set up as a sparks and still doing my C&G Part 2 although I hope from my posts you will agree I have a pretty good understanding of the world of the electrician. It does help that I have a degree so the academic side of the C&G is not a problem and I am quite practically minded anyway...I just got so fed up being sat behind a desk at a computer everyday and wanted more hands on type stuff...I am thoroughly enjoying the sparks side though...and this is my 102nd post I believe....where has the time gone...;)

6. supersparky

supersparky New Member

yup i agree you do, i thaught you were qualified, maybe without much experience but i agree its better than desk work!!!

BR

7. mickyrobo

mickyrobo New Member

i have a disc by "imisi" called "turbo cad" a very good prog for doing all kinds of drawings from engineering to structural work try a search on google

8. Jason123

Jason123 New Member

I had a problem recently with my loft conversion, spent lots on architect costs, he wouldn't/couldn't give dimensions of RSJs required. A builder recommended a structural eng firm who gave the calculations on headed paper, keeping the liability with them for the strength requirements of the beams. We ended up with 200mm x 100mm rsj's spanning 14 feet, this allowed the use of 8 by 2 inch joists to support the new attic floor. Nobody wants to be liable for any component failing so RSJ specs are quite often 2 or 3 inches bigger than they have to be. Its all about passing the buck, by the way, that little piece of paper cost 30 quid and kept the building inspector quite happy.

9. T

T Member

try searching SDA applications- superbeam. I aint qualified se but it is good.

10. Hitch.

Hitch. New Member

If in doubt, slap in a 1016x305x487 UB
    You may need to strengthen up your padstones ;)

Or maybe put a 356x406x1086 UC at each end just to make sure.

11. Hitch.

Hitch. New Member

..type will affect the size and ub or uv value of steels and their sizes.

Whats a uv or ub value???

I think you must mean UB & UC??
    UB means Universal beam, and UC means universal column.

Oh and for thoose that may not know, the last number eg 1016x305x487 is the weight of the section in kg per metre.

12. dazed5

dazed5 New Member

And dont be shocked that the bill for these steels comes to twice your entire build budget. And get some beefy lads in to help lift them into place.

13. chappers

chappers Member

all the loading calcs are standard for certain structures and come out of a book just get yourself a copy a degree in maths and away you go.
    or use a set of previous calcs and then substitute your own specific loadings from the book and put them into the calcs BC should check the calcs before approving your plans.
    whowever I think money paid to the SE is money well spent as its their responsibility then if anything fails.
    You should already save enough money by doing your own drawings and spec for BC to be able to afford the SE.
    Mind you when I did my own loft (I also run a loft conversion company). I submitted the drawings and calcs that I had from a previous identical house I had done in the past.

14. r2d2.

r2d2. New Member

Building regulations state anything over a 4 meter span and you should employ a structural engineer. Regards r2d2.

15. Lightning McQueen

Lightning McQueen New Member

Structural engineers are not in the habit of designing stuff that fails!

16. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

structural engineers are in the habit of over specification (500% safety factors are not uncommon) to safeguard their PI insurance

17. chappers

chappers Member

You aint wrong did an extension once where one steel had to hang off two others and it didn't work out with floor and ceiling heights, so went back to SE to see if what we could do about it he said we could use a smaller steel so while I waited he just tried a smaller steel banged it into his computer and sure enogh the smaller steel worked.I was just about to leave and then realised it wouldn't work at one end so he tried a steel one size smaller at one end and reduced the main steel down a size too.Sure enough it still passd the calcs.
    I asked him why he had speced the larger steels he said he just makes an educated guess and if that works he leaves it at that.
    i know always ask to make sure the smallest steel is speced. as after all bigger the steel larger the costs.
    Bloody SEs ;)