Structural stair post?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by E Adam, Jul 12, 2023.

1. E Adam

E Adam New Member

Hi there, I'm trying to work out if a staircase post on the ground floor is load bearing.

See the one circled.

I've moved into a 60s house, so not familiar with the building still. There is also an attic as well as a first floor. I've checked in the cupboard under the stairs (not pictured) and the post doesn't extend into the cupboard.

Struggling to take wide furniture up the stairs (and unable to take them through windows), so wondering if I can chamfer or completely cut away post.

Thank you.

20230712_190544.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Granfernewtown20

Granfernewtown20 Active Member

Just an opinion.....yes it's load bearing. Otherwise a banister height newel post would be adequate, cheaper and more sensible appearance wise. Apart from not obstructing the stairs.
    The only other support for the upstairs floor is the wall at the bottom of the stairs.
    In order to be sure one would need to see the joist layout of the first floor.

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Take some floorboards up above the newel post, will soon see if it’s supporting anything.

4. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I would say that it is also supporting the staircase to the attic. Until you know 100% shure, i would not cut it off.