Stuck lockshield (screw not pin)

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Alewater, Jul 3, 2021.

1. Alewater

Alewater New Member

Hi,

Been decorating and it’s time to rehang the rad. All done except that the lockshield won’t budge at all. It’s not a pin type that I see elsewhere but requires a flathead screw driver to turn it. The grove is already damaged so don’t want to force it to much, I’ve tried spraying some wd40 in the top but it’s still not budging.
    Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

Need a big flathead that fits it perfectly, if it still won’t budge then unfortunately u might need to change it

3. Alewater

Alewater New Member

Ok thanks.

Any advice on replacing it without draining the whole system?

4. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

If it’s tank fed u can sometimes bung the feed pipe and vent pipe, but to be honest I always err on the side of caution and would drain the system, seems a pain for one valve but it doesn’t take long.

5. Pavski

Pavski New Member

Its summer, you don't need the heating, so i would renew the rad valve without question, it will only give you problems in the future, once they are solid, and binding, they never seem to be trouble free.better to do it now rather than find problems in the winter.