Stud Wall Door Frame Size?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Mutley-ab, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Mutley-ab

Mutley-ab New Member

Can someone adivise me on the opening size I should make in a stud wall to allow the fitting of double 726mm x 2040 internal doors. Also suggestions on Door Lining Thickness would be usefull.

Thanks

Mutley.

2. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Without being rude or anything, youre in a much better position to know than me. The opening size needs to be your doors plus your tolerance around and between the doors plus double the thickness of your lining plus perhaps 18mm wriggle room for plumbing and levelling. I use rebated casings for everything so mine would be 726+726+3+3+3+21+21+18=1521mm on the horizontal and for the height say 8mm for the bottom door at 2040mm 3mm tolerance 21mm for the casing and perhaps 9mm for jiggling so 2073mm. As for the lining width depends upon your stud wall. Who shall I invoice for the working out?

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Far too much 'wriggle-room' there. Put those doors in there, and you will have 9mm gap at each door edge.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Oh dear handy, you cant help yourself sometimes can you. The wriggle room is to enable plumbing and levelling of the lining. I.E notch your lining head to give an internal lining size of the two doors plus 3 for the middle and 3 for either side. Assemble your lining and then put it in a stud wall opening that is 18mm bigger than the lining, then plumb and level and get it perfect. If your tape measure works properly then the gap will be between the lining and the opening, not between the lining and the door.

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Ah. Wiggle-room for the lining(why didn't you say so )

But why not get your studding level and plumb to begin with ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

What does that face thing with a line coming out of it mean? I dont do that kind of thing. As for the stud wall, the way I read it he wants to cut an opening in an existing one. Surely if its one he is building he would know the width the lining needs to be

7. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

The OP doesn't state ,what is above the stud wall either. For all we know , there could be another stud wall directly above, or the loading on the stud wall could indicate he needs to strengthen the cut out for double doors. The stud wall could be in the middle of a 25ft wide room with floor joists crossing it.
    We need more information before any of us could advise.

8. Mutley-ab

Mutley-ab New Member

The Stud wall is new, non load bearing. I am struggling to find out the thicknesses of wood to use for the door lining and the gaps I should leave around the doors. Like goldenboy states, 3mm gap at the side of each door and in the middle + the thickness of the door lining. I think Goldenboy indicates 21mm thick lining.

If these are correct then my opening should be 21+3+726+3+726+3+21 = 1503

If i can get the new Stud work plumb, then this is my opening size?

Thanks for your advice.

9. mof

mof Member

simple, get the lining before you cut the opening, then you know how thick it is, also you need a bit of "wiggle room" as it is possible to fit the frame tight to the studwork but in practice it never works out and you will find that you wished that you had left a bit of room to adjust the lining.

10. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Wiggle room is essential as most manufatured frames are toss!

Huge knots, twisted, curved, virgin wood slat together for tuppence! 

11. was dunc before

was dunc before New Member

I fitted some doors and frames on our house during the loft conversion. The linings are fire check at 30mm thickness.  Depends on the supplier.

But I would still allow plenty of waggle. That's enough to  slip in a 6mm piece of mdf or 8mm parting beading. something solid and that bridges across the full width of the lining. Leaving it too tight ends up in a fiddle and misshapen linings when they are secured.

So most ofdthe calculations are accurate, except i would write it thus:

(waggle) lining-3mm-door3mm-door-3mm-lining (waggle)

waggle is calculated in necessity, convenience, inspiration, tea break thinking time, rule of thumb, tads and smidgens. but its very precise to the practised artisan.