Stud Wall Parallel to Solid Wall - do I need noggins?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Daniel Duerden, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Daniel Duerden

Daniel Duerden New Member

Hi,

I'm planning on building a stud wall parallel to a solid wall to install sound insulation. I'd appreciate any advice on the proposed plan.

It is 3.6m wide x 2.7m high. 600mm centres on the studs and two rows of noggins at a third and two thirds height.
    The timber will be 3x2 scant used sideon so the depth will be 43mm. I'm trying to keep the overall depth to a minimum. It will sit 10mm off the brick wall. Special clips attached to the stud work with furring bars attached to the studs. Attached to the furring bars will be two layers of 15mm soundbloc plasterboard and one layer of 5mm acoustic membrane between the plasterboard layers. I know this will be a considerable amount of mass. The total depth will hopefully be ~120mm plus finishing coat of plaster.

My main query is:

The floor and ceiling joists run parallel to the wall and aren't close enough for the sole and top plates to be screwed in to. The side studs would be screwed into the return brick walls on either side. Would it be possible to just screw the sole and top plates to the floor boards and use a hollow wall type fitting in the ceiling or do I need to add an additional floor and ceiling joists or noggins to attach the stud frame to?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Dan

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

You would fit timber to wall. Resilient bars across. Insulation and 2 sound block boards. Boards should not touch floor, ceiling or walls 3mm ish gap. Fill with acoustic mastic..

Not sure I understand exactly but you need to try and avoid any bridge between ceiling and wall to stop the sound travel. Your building a stud wall fixed to floor and ceiling though? Can you avoid this fixing and just screw timber to wall?

3. Daniel Duerden

The idea was to have the stud wall and insulation completely isolated from the brick wall. I was going to use a 5mm acoustic isolation strip between timber, floor, ceiling and walls to reduce transfer there and then ensure the plasterboard had a gap around all edges filled with acoustic sealant.

I'm just not sure that without screwing the frame in to floor/ceiling joists it will be strong enough to support the weight of 35mm of plasterboard and acoustic membrane??

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

So you want to remove part of ceiling and put timber in and the same on the floor to take weight?

Can't see a problem with that. It is heavy. I struggle to carry board

5. Daniel Duerden

Yes, but I'm not sure how. I would need to put noggins between the floor/ceiling joists closest to the wall and the wall, which I assume would require joist hangers or something similar to attach to the brick?

6. Robert_fh

Robert_fh New Member

I have the same problem! what did you end up doing?
    thanks

7. Daniel Duerden

I've decided not to bother with the stud wall and use a direct to wall sound insulation system and hope that it's enough to at least dampen the noise from next door.