Stud wall seperating Garage from house

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by woodi22, Dec 31, 2018.

1. woodi22

woodi22 New Member

I have a staircase in my garage that leads to a workshop above. Im planning on intergrating the staircase into the house (simple knock through a wall) and making the workshop above into a bedroom.

I'm building a stud wall to segergate the garage from the house and my question is on the stud wall.

Im planning to build using 4 x 2 and insulating with 100mm kingspan baords. Plasterboard on the house side and Gyproc FireLine on the garage side. Could some one advise if this sounds about right? If so, how do you afix the Gyproc FireLine as I plan to install this on the garage ceiling too.
    Thanks

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

If the garage is capable of parking a car, then everything between the garage and the habitable parts must be fire-safe ... regardless of whether a car is actually parked there or not.

3. Isitreally

Isitreally Well-Known Member

You'll need wider timber if you wish to use 100mm Kingspan as 100 x 50 is only 96 x 46 or there abouts.

4. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Bedroom above the garage/ conversion in to a bedroom
    - requires planning permission.
    For that you'll need drawings, with all the intricacies detailed out.
    And as per above- if garage is potentially garage everything will need to be 1hr rated, most likely 2nd fire escape route provision etc etc... Studwall might need to be double pink skinned or... In circumstances will make sense to use thermalite blocks.
    Your plan (technical Q), afraid to say, is wrong! whole process wrong way round and frum is of help on certain issues, but not this time, I believe.

KIAB likes this.
  5. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

In answer to your question you use 38mm drywall screws and screw the boards on to the studs/ceiling joists.