Students walling obstruction

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Ballistic, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Ballistic

Ballistic Member

Hi all. While start investing to cut into the wall to install a double so let I came across this.

OK I'm running into a few technical issues here, The predictive text should read Stud Walling Obstruction.
    The photo from my smart phone is too large to upload which seems odd.

There is basically what looks like a stud next to the single socket I am upgrading but it's not wood but some greyish dense material that is quite hard but you can dent it with a screw driver tip. Anyone know what it is and if it can be cut into neatly?

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Well-Known Member

Your photo needs to be less than 2MB.

3. Ballistic

Ballistic Member

thank you for your reply... IMG_20181013_1620421871.jpg

4. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Well-Known Member

Take single socket off away from wall and let us see what its mounted in/on..
    I suspect its thermal block...could be wrong.
    Rs

5. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Could be cement, a dollop of plaster bonding coat, or a chunk of platerboard adhesive used for dot&dab.

A hammer drill, masonry bit and a load of 5mm holes will see it off. Do report back on what you find...

6. Ballistic

Ballistic Member

I did have the socket off and it's mounted on a galvanised steel box, probably been there since 1964 when the house was built. (had to put socket back on temporarily) It's too soft to be cement / concrete, it feels like rubber, it's very flat and uniform. The roof here has an interesting steel construction, so I wondered if they were trying something odd with the stud walling.

7. Ballistic

Ballistic Member

I can see what you mean though. Perhaps the bonding / plasterboard adhesive was once slapped flat against the plasterboard and the thin gap between the two has been opened since in the last 50 or so years.

8. Ballistic

Ballistic Member

It's another sheet of plasterboard! lol And there does appear some sploges of glue between the two when looking down the very thin cavity between them. Should have had a sweep stake!

I think what they must have done back then, is very cleverly knew where the sockets would go before installing the plaster board, then stick a piece of plaster board behind so they can make a hole for the steel back box right on it.

9. Ballistic

Ballistic Member

Things I noticed doing this seemingly simple task

Wires came in at top right corner with no room for manoeuvre. Had to make holes in the new back box.

Took at least half hour jiggling it about to get it in.

There were 3 lots of wires coming down to it and they would barely fit into the modern 2 gang socket.

The old 1960s socket had massive apertures.

The old wiring was slightly sticky.

The wires were tight and folded over getting the face plate back on. Was paranoid everything not tight enough, but kept checking everything.

Over all, ridiculous amount of time spent doing a small job.

10. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Yes. That’s why proper electrians are worth their weight in gold!

11. Ballistic

Ballistic Member

Yes true. I still for the life of me can't figure how they've wired this bungalow. The socket at the oher end of the room seemed to be a spur as there was just one wire dropped down to it. Opened this socket and there are 3 and I'm not sure why!

12. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

There could be any number of reasons. Probably it is a socket on a ring final circuit with a spur off it = 3 cables.
    The socket with the single cable might be the spur!

Ballistic likes this.