Studwork Fixing

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Deland01, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Deland01

Deland01 Member

Can anyone recommend any decent screws for studwork on 50mm x 75mm I will be fixing this into 18mm chipboard flooring.

Cheers

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Better job if you can use 100mm screws and aim for a joist beneath. Failing that, 75mm screws through sole plate into chipboard will be fine, beware of any pipes or cables under flooring.

3. Deland01

Deland01 Member

I'll be installing the baseplate onto a newly built floor with no cables or pipe work so ill go for 100mm.

Any suggestions on decent brands?

4. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Turbogold (from our hosts), Spax and Reisser all seem decent.

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

(Deep breath whilst waiting for this thread to explode with recommendations......) Anything that you can drive in with an impact driver without snapping, so Reisser, Wurth, Spax, Goldscrew are decent for cheap, anything really mate. No need to spend a fortune.

CGN likes this.
  6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

PB screws left over from an overboarding job! :eek:

Joe95 and chippie244 like this.
  7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If I'm paying it's Turbogold.

8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Almost anything :)

CGN likes this.
  9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

If you're wanging them in with a rattler, then theyll easily 'countersink' :oops: in by 10-15mm and beyond :D

10. mrppp

mrppp Active Member

I like the ForgeFast Multi Purpose Self Drilling Wood Screw Torx head from TS

11. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Have used these myself, 75 and 100mm fixing some studs to garage walls for shelving rack

No pilot hole needed in timber and they drive in with low torque, even the supplied bit is fine, basic quality I guess but with zero cam out, it doesn’t knacker the bit

Good price as well :)

12. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

On the big screws any reputable brand will do. Turbogold, Reissers even normal Goldscrews. Snapping isnt usually a problem on the bigger ones

Smaller it is Reisser all the way. Pick up the handy pack of about 8 different sizes for about £18 from TS. Usually price one pack in per week long job.

WillyEckerslike and CGN like this.
  13. Cecilb70

Cecilb70 Active Member

I prefer 75mm by 4 mm for this. 5 mm or even 6mm would usually split. 4 mm or 4.5mm are a bit bendy but hold great with no splits.