Sub Base Thickness for Imprinted Concrete

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by kiteboy, Sep 7, 2021.

1. kiteboy

kiteboy Member

Hi all - I currently have some guys that have started doing my drive for me

I didnt have a good feel for them on the first day essentially (well the main guy anyway) - you know when you get a feeling - they have got our old concrete drive up and there was another drive underneath which nobody knew about - immediately the feeling is they looking to add the costs on essentially to get that up and in the skip

Anyway cut it short as I was already getting a bad feeling I said Ill get the old drive up - and it literally took an hr last night - so no problem at all - done

I also asked if I could use his breaker to get it up and he said he would charge £50 rental!!! Immediately I said your using my electric for god sake if your gonna be like that - I couldnt tell if he was joking or not but anyway I didnt need his breaker anyway and got it up by pick axe no problem at all and sent him a photo to show it was done by 4.30pm

Now I haven't got a breakdown of costs as I know I should have but as people are just really hard to get hold of and if you start asking too much they just dont answer texts etc

Anyway cut it short I have heard mentioned that 2inches of subbase is going down - I will double check that tomorrow - but from my googling it should be 100mm minimum - especially as we are having two cars parked on it - its on heavy clay soil

If hes funny with me again tomorrow for even asking Im half thinking to call it off after two days - Im no mug but Im no pain in the a$$ either

So yeh just wanted to check subbase depth really for pattern imprinted concrete as again if I say it should be 4inches hes gonna add costs on again for sure

Feel like Im being awkward but i really am not - just want it done properly

Thanks all

2. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Active Member

I would imagine it depends on how thick he intends pouring the concrete no? I’d want that detail as much as the sub-base info. If its a foot deep then no base layer at all would be fine I’d imagine. (Exaggerating but you appreciate what I mean).

3. kiteboy

kiteboy Member

I have asked that too - about 4inchs I gather for the concrete itself

Truckcab79 likes this.
  4. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Active Member

5. kiteboy

kiteboy Member

Yeh I have googled it and also pavingexpert - they not putting steel in thats for sure - just fibre reinforced cement "apparently"

6. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

For a drive I'd want to see 150 of type 1 over Terram.

Did you have a proper spec before you started?

7. kiteboy

kiteboy Member

No I don't have anything at all....I kind of knew it was at least 100mm and yeh 150mm too and as we on clay terram has popped up when I looked at before too.....I've looked into this sometime last year

It's my fault too as its hard just getting a price off people and if you ask too many questions they don't come back at all
    He's had one guy here for two days with a breaker.....I have a feeling we might have a disagreement tommorrow though and he will increase the costs again

Will see how it goes

Oh man my missus will be happy.
    But im not gonna be happy if its just 50mm knowing it should be 100mm or 150mm

Mare

8. kiteboy

kiteboy Member

Well that went exactly as I thought it would - massive argument with the guy on the street - whole street must have heard

He didnt have the pattern we would like anyway - so that was the bigger issue at the end of the day so they were just going to carry on regardless of our concerns

Didnt like his attitude again and so I said I think we better leave it there then and then it kicked off in a massive way - threatend to knock me out too which was nice right up in my face

I agree we should have sorted patterns before hand - thats our fault - should have checked but its so hard to get anyone at the moment

Just what I needed first thing this morning - so yeh my gut feeling for the guy was right all along I think

Wanted £350 for 9-2pm for two days with a breaker I said no chance but did offer to pay a reasonable rate for the work they had done - so I dont think I was unreasonable - did part of it myself anyway

So yeh great experience - had to take a day off work cos heart rate and lips gone dry :(