Sub floor ventilation

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Paul Walsh, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Paul Walsh

Paul Walsh New Member

Hi,

I will soon be moving into my new home and the surveyors report mentioned sub floor ventilation issues. I will be looking to install a couple of air bricks in the front of the property but have an issue with putting in vents to the rear as there is a concrete slab from an extension preventing a flow theough. Any ideas on a solution to this??

Paul

2. A bit more info, Paul.

How many vents are currently installed? And where? Any chance of photos of both sides?

What exactly did the survey say? What age is the building?

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If a suspended timber floor you need good through ventilation, air vents front & back of a property, other you can get dry rot, mould,etc.

When you lay a concrete floor for extension, you usually extend airbrick ventilation to the outside wall as below.

[​IMG]

upload_2018-3-5_11-23-9.jpeg

Attached Files:

4. Paul Walsh

Paul Walsh New Member

@devilsadvocate as far as I'm aware none a the moment at the front or back! Unfortunately we cant send photos as we hav'nt moved in yet. The surveyor stated that 'sub floor ventilation is inadequate and additional air bricks should be provided. This may have allowed defects to occur in concealed areas'.
    The house was built around 1900.

5. Paul Walsh

Paul Walsh New Member

@KIAB 2 good examples of what should have been done to our, soon to be house but I doubt if this was done!

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Would pay you to lift a few floorboards by front wall in room & have a nosey in the crawl space, might get a large bill to sort any potential problem.

This what you don't want to see or worst.

[​IMG]

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

So simple,but sadly many peeps don't do,they see it as unnecessary expense, then have problems later.

8. Paul Walsh

Paul Walsh New Member

I'm just going to have to wait to move in really to investigate further. I dont suppose there is any other way of through venting with the slab being in the way? Not really up for breaking into the extension slab!

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Detached, or midterraced house?

10. Paul Walsh

Paul Walsh New Member

Mid terraced

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I know someone had same problem,some years ago, he solved the problem by hiring a firm who did moling, they put through I think four 100m diameter holes under kitchen floor & into the lounge crawl space to provide ventilation.:eek:

Did have to make a few holes in garden & kitchen wall,due to short distance there was no deviation, was quite easy to pull through ducting.

https://www.eps-watermains.co.uk/domestic-moling

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  12. Paul Walsh

Paul Walsh New Member

Ouch!! Sounds expensive!

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It worked out cheaper than ripping up kitchen floor,& they manage to save most of the joists in front room,as soon there was ventilation, the area quickly dried out.

The moling was only width of kitchen,so around 4mtrs in width,so would have been pretty quick to do.

14. Paul Walsh

Paul Walsh New Member

Ok thanks I'll take into consideration

15. ENVIRO FAN

ENVIRO FAN New Member

Paul looking at the photo with the pipes under the slab is there access under the wooden floor?