???Subbase for patio slabs???

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by nyck, Apr 22, 2005.

1. nyck

nyck New Member

I've started a patio ,hardcore base then scalpings ready for sharp sand and block pavers.
    My dear wife has changed her mind and wants patio slabs.The hardcore base and scalpings have both been wacker plated so is quite solid,can i just lay the slabs on a morter base on top of the scalpings.
    Only ask a frend had a patio built and the base was a concrete slab base

nyck

2. Goddo

Goddo New Member

Hi nyck

By patio do you mean for light foot and kiddy traffic? If so, no concrete is needed but it needs to be about 1/2" (10mm) below the thickness of the combined mortar bed and flags if that makes sense.

If you want cars, vans, horses, the public; etc then concrete is the way to go. Lol.

Tip: use good quality 35mm flags layed on a 1 1/2" (40mm max) bed if your laying them yourself; saves a hernia! and you will get a great finish to boot.

...or you could just sell the wife on e-bay! ;)

3. HAMMERBOY

HAMMERBOY New Member

Nyck ... i put 2-3" concrete down on top of hardcore for my own patio. Pegged it out in bays to get the fall right then concreted then bedded slabs on sand and cement.

I agree that concrete isn't necessary for pedestrian traffic but mines been down for 5 yrs now , is as solid as a rock and i'm still waiting to see a weed grow through .

4. nyck

nyck New Member

It's in the back garden so only foot traffic.
    The bank balance is a bit low so i didnt want spend another £200-£250 on concrete if the harcore/scalping base would be ok.
    I was going for the slabs in wickes, wentworth i think.

nyck

5. draftangle

draftangle New Member

6. nyck

nyck New Member

I forgot about that website.thats how i learnt how to block pave
    nyck

7. Goddo

Goddo New Member

Just checked out that website great stuff draftangle.

nyck the 'wentworth' flags are thick enough but the over all quality may be disappointing. Have you looked ar the local builder merchants offerings? Also check for local manufacturers. It might be an idea to buy one from Wickes to compare then return it for a refund after you have chosen. (That way you'll get a full discount on a pallet or your money back if they are pooh.).

PS In my experience all the Chinese sandstone flags are cheap and nasty but some indian ones are quite good value but if you're on a tight buget stick with concrete flags and you'll be fine.