Suitable base for decking

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by mackie, May 11, 2018.

1. mackie

mackie Member

I am thinking of replacing the concrete base outside my back door. It is uneven ‘ cracked / missing, basically shot but covered by decking currently. There is a step down out of the back door onto the ground and then back up onto the existing concrete, then up again onto the decking, circa 100mm per step up or down.

Now I have changed the door I could bring the decking right the way to the back door and make it look 10 times better and get rid of the steps.

Apart from light foot traffic the decking would have an inflatable spa on it though through the summer months so needs to be solid.

What would I need in the way of a base, area is circa 4.2m x 2.5m. I am guessing I might as well just put down a replacement slab, nice and flat ready to put new decking on top of. Would it need to be 50mm slab with 50mm hardcore underneath or could I get away with just a slab. Or maybe just some sort of MOT base to a certain depth?

2. mr moose

mr moose Active Member

If your covering the slab in decking could you just repair/replace the visible slab, otherwise its a lot of work? How shot is shot? Photos?

3. mackie

mackie Member

Hi, see attached. As there is decking on it already I could only take a picture of the corner. It did not take much for the concrete in the picture to actually break off, put a crowbar under it, tiny bit of pressure and it was up. not saying the rest would be as easy to take up as the decking has been down for a couple of years, but some will be.

Also you will see there is a step down out of the house, then a step up onto the concrete, then onto the decking. We want to have the decking run right over to the right hand side, but this needs to be lowered so it goes under the doorstep.

Attached Files:

4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Well-Known Member

Just DIY here but as long as its solid it should be fine.

MOT whacked down should be OK, but I'd then lay paving slabs at regular intervals on concrete, on which the decking would go (with DPM under timbers).

I built "pads" for my log cabin, dug down 500mm x 500mm about 8" I think, some hard core (as I had some), chicken wire, concrete then paving slab on bedding mix. Could do similar providing "piers" on which your decking sits.

5. mr moose

mr moose Active Member

I would be stretching barers across from the main decking area and attaching to the wall on the right, I would then put additional support I. e blocks or paving slabs underneath that.