Suitable material for under vinyl flooring

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Rosalie, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Rosalie

Rosalie Member

We're about to fit vinyl flooring and wish to know if there is an alternative to plywood for underneath? The floor is reasonable, but not perfect, so we need something under the vinyl, but would prefer something easier to cut, as the shape is tricky, and additionally, plywood seems like overkill. Could anyone suggest alternatives please?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
  2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Tendency is for ply, 6mm - 9mm, won't be easier to cut but if that would be a problem the vinyl fitter could sort that for you.

3. Rosalie

Rosalie Member

Hi Astramax, sorry, but I am looking for an alternative to plywood.. I wrote hardboard by mistake. We couldn't find a vinyl fitter locally, so my partner is going to have to cut the subfloor material, so I am hoping to find something easier that plywood, as that will be virtually impossible to cut to the shape required, as there are a lot of doorways, and additionally the space is shaped like a part-hexagon.. We don't have sophisticated tools and would prefer a lighter material to work with.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Is it sheet vinyl or LVT?

5. Rosalie

Rosalie Member

It's sheet vinyl. It incorporates a thick layer of foam underlay.