Summer house CU

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by luke smith, Aug 12, 2018.

1. luke smith

luke smith New Member

Installing electrics in a new summer house

For the CU it would ideally need to be 4 ways to install 4 lights, 5 sockets, 9.5Kw shower and a small 2Kw under counter water heater.

Is there an issue using a main consumer unit as a secondary one?

Thanks in advance!

2. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Hold on there partner.....
    Lets take a big step back.

How will the electricity get to the summer house? What sort of cable is being used, where will it be connected in the house and who is installing it?

3. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

A Consumer Unit is a Consumer Unit.
    Big, small, main, garage, shower, secondary, etc are just descriptions.

luke smith likes this.
  4. luke smith

luke smith New Member

Electric will come from a split tail joined to a henley box. 10mm SWA and Myself.

5. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

How long is the run?

6. luke smith

luke smith New Member

21m

7. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Where is the over-current protection for the SWA?
    10mm is undersized for that load for that distance.
    All that you are describing is notifiable work. You need a registered electrician to do this for you.

8. luke smith

luke smith New Member

There will be a switched fuse after Henley box.
    The power usage is 16kW.
    Yeah it will be fully tested and certificated.

9. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Agree. 16mm2 3-core needed.

luke smith likes this.
  10. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Most people forget that whoever signs the certificate is taking responsibility for the design as well as the installation and testing.

So you’ll need to give “whoever” the opportunity of agreeing the design that you get from a group of drunken idiots on an Internet forum on a Sunday afternoon.

luke smith likes this.
  11. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Well, talk to the person who is going to "fully tested and certified" the job.
    Or is he .....
    1. On holiday
    2. phone not working
    3. Too busy.
    4. Family member.
    5. Some other load of old rubbish that we have all heard before from stupid DIY chances and muppets.

RS

12. luke smith

luke smith New Member

Yes.. all of the above .
    Thanks for all your help you ******* pleb!

chippie244 likes this.
  13. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Is insulting another forum member the best way of getting your question answered?????

14. luke smith

luke smith New Member

It was hardly the most useful comment on here although people have helped which I'm grateful for!

15. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

It can get a bit fruity i’ll admit. I have a similar job: power to an annex. Should be chatting to my electrician Friday...

16. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Luke, im just a diyer, can’t answer any of your questions but to me, what would make sense is get the electrician that you are using to test and certificate on board now

Yes ur gonna have to pay for his time and give him tea and biscuits but discuss all details with him/her (unlikely ;)) now before any work starts

All I know is that there’s loads of factors to take into consideration and the complete supply and installation needs careful consideration and designing. Also take into account ‘future proofing’ the design in terms of extra power requirements over the years - we have a love affair with anything that’s needs power and we can plug in

The electrician signing off really needs to be on site and discussing your plans face to face with you. He can then advise on cable size, runs, and what he’s happy with you carrying out and exactly how he wants this done

The more work you can complete helps the final bill, I get this and also gives you a real feeling of accomplishment and being part of the project

But any pro spark won’t (or shouldn’t) be happy just turning up at the end with a test meter and blank certs, ready to be completed

Don’t mean to be condescending in any of the above, it just really makes sense and could save any expensive mistakes being made along the way and any issues with the instal being signed off

Best of luck, really :)

sparky steve and chippie244 like this.
  17. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

For a Diyer Dave that's a half decent, no fully decent reply tbh.
    Luke read the above you pleb:p

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

RS is a sanctimonious dick though :)

19. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Jeez Chippie that's a big word for a Sunday evening, 'Dick', as for RS, I couldn't possibly comment:rolleyes:

20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It took me 2 attempts to spell it right but as RS is just back after a long ban for posting racist rubbish he should be keeping his head down.

Jord86 likes this.