Summer House Power CU

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Dean DeLuca, Mar 22, 2021.

  1. Dean DeLuca

    Dean DeLuca Member

    Hi all,

    I was wondering if somebody could tell me which would be the better side if possible to run power to my summer house, I will be wanting to run a max of 2 double sockets and a ip rated sealed light.


    i am planning on running t&e from the CU to a wiska box on the outside wall. Then run tuff sheath or swa to the summer house into a garage CU. then run the power into the sockets and lights using conduit.

    Any hep or advice would be very gratefully received.
  2. Bazza

    Bazza Screwfix Select

    Not what you want to hear, but it’s a new circuit from the CU, so it is notifiable work. Therefore you’ll be needing a competent, registered electrician.
    Not a DIY jobby.
    Dean DeLuca likes this.
  3. Dean DeLuca

    Dean DeLuca Member

  4. Dean DeLuca

    Dean DeLuca Member

    bugger, haha

    What if I run a fused spur of the back bedroom into a wiska box and then run it to the shed that way..

    Is that SAFE first of all, and would that be ok?
  5. MGW

    MGW Screwfix Select

    There are ways around the law, as you say a ring final is as the name implies the final circuit so any branch off the circuit is not a new circuit, so yes can use fused connection units (FCU) or register the work with the LABC, you are technically allowed to DIY but in practice often costs more than using a scheme member.

    However this forum seems to have a problem with linked pictures, better to put the picture direct into the forum so people can see it without following any links.

    If we all considered every one followed the rule book and law then really no point in the website, as each time we do work we should inspect and test and raise a minor works or installation certificate which needs test gear which would cost around £500 so really no point in having the forum.

    So we know people will break the law and rule book, so it is better to give advice and have them do it with less danger, so post your pictures and see what advice is given.

    I know Blagdon do a kit to get around the Part P law, I also think it is likely more dangerous than using traditional hard wired methods, so yes you do need to realise your breaking the law, but we still will give advice.
    Dean DeLuca likes this.
  6. Bazza-spark

    Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

    You must ensure the sockets are RCD protected.
    Dean DeLuca likes this.
  7. DIYDave.

    DIYDave. Screwfix Select

    I’m not a spark but just reading through,

    Above may be an option to stay within regs as no longer running a new circuit but the leccie work still needs to comply with regs and the person doing the work needs to be competent (although proving that or even clarifying exactly what that means may be difficult)

    Coming off a FCU, your limiting your summer house power capabilities to just 13A

    Boil an average kettle out there (as an example) and your pretty much maxed out on Amps

    Any consideration for heating in the colder months / evenings / Plug in leccie heater perhaps for simplicity ?

    Again, not much current left for anything else

    LED lighting won’t be much of a power factor as its frugal but maybe worth ‘future proofing’ the supply as we have a love affair with things with plugs on the end :)
    Dean DeLuca likes this.
  8. Dean DeLuca

    Dean DeLuca Member

    And its very appreciated.
  9. Dean DeLuca

    Dean DeLuca Member

    Yes of course.
  10. Dean DeLuca

    Dean DeLuca Member

    Thank you , you have made some valid points.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice