Summerhouse Base

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by darrinm, Jul 22, 2021.

1. darrinm

darrinm New Member

Hi guys,

First time poster and newbie here.

I'm having a Summerhouse installed in a few weeks and for the base I'm electing not to have a concrete slab, but instead laying some paving slabs. I've been advised that they do not need to be level as the company installing will account for that when they build the wooden base with the bearers.

Question is, would it be suffice to simply lay down a DPM over grass, cover with sand, then lay the slabs on top?

Any help/advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Darrin

2. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Assuming this is a "shed" type summerhouse, take off turf and wack down about 2-4 inches of MOT1 https://www.cwberry.com/Building-Ma.../MOT-Type-1-40mm-Down-Limestone_M02110126.htm and lay some concrete lintels across making sure they are level - lintels spread the load well. The timber bearers then sit on these clear of the ground. I suggest that if the support isn't flat the installing company may make an attempt at levelling the bearers but it will probably be a bodge. Straight on to grass with just sand is liable to settle. You can use slabs, but again I would prepare a sub-base with MOT1 rather than sand.

If this is a substantial summerhouse - i.e. a bit more than just a fancy shed, then it deserves/requires a much more substantial base.

3. darrinm

darrinm New Member

Thanks Mr Rusty.

It is just a fancy shed that is 3m x 3.5m and nothing substantial.

Getting the turf up would be a challenge as the ground is rock hard, so are you saying the slabs could sit directly on top of the MOT?

4. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

The MOT will provide a solid base. The slabs could sit direct on top, but you might find it easier to mix up a bit of cement with the sand and make a bit of mortar to bed them level - doesn't need much thickness - enough to level up.

5. darrinm

darrinm New Member

OK understood cheers fella!