Superglue repair to plastic back box?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Mstiva87, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Mstiva87

Mstiva87 New Member

Hi all I’ve just had to change shower pull cord and on tightening up the new cord onto back box I pulled a lug off back box I’ve managed to glue it back on using super glue it’s got a good hold now and the screw tightens up onto it. Is this safe it’s all now nice and tight and works how it should many thanks

Attached Files:

2. spinlondon

spinlondon Well-Known Member

I imagine it will probably fail again sometime.

3. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

Superglue is probably not the best, I would have considered either an expanding Gorilla glue, or a new box!

Just remember, every-time the cord is pulled, which can be quite forceful, there will be strain on the screw and insert. Have the new box ready to fit.

4. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Well-Known Member

Or better still ban the bloody things, Shower pull cords, Fire starters, yanked too hard, cables crammed in to a small place recipe for disaster.

DIY womble and KIAB like this.
  5. Mstiva87

Mstiva87 New Member

Thanks for the replies the glue is top quality glue and yes it has got a great hold how long it lasts I don’t know a new box isn’t a problem but thought if I could save myself a job I would. I was wondering more along the lines is it fine to use superglue in a back box with cables etc.

6. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

There isnt a chemical problem with doing this, as others, I would doubt that the repair will hold for more than a few pulls.
    A new 47mm box is only a £ or two. Make sure the connections are done up tight.

Mstiva87 likes this.
  7. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I was reading a book about superglue, couldn't put it down...

8. dobbie

dobbie Well-Known Member

Change the switch and box for a 50 amp Crabtree pull switch if you have enough slack.
    It will be a better job entirely.

9. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Well-Known Member

Why bother switching it off anyway? It is only there for local isolation during maintenance. Ours stays on.

Kind regards

DIY womble and longboat like this.
  10. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Although I've never fitted a Crabtree one for a customer I fitted one in our house when we moved in 30 years ago and it's still working fine, and that time included having 3 daughters here for several years! I wouldn't like to say the present day quality would be as good though judging by most things these days but you never know. (and it does get switched on/off each time the shower is used)

11. spinlondon

spinlondon Well-Known Member

I don’t like those hard plastic boxes, go to tap out the knock out and the box splits in two.