Supersparky, can you tell me

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by refurb, Dec 17, 2003.

1. refurb

refurb New Member

if the metal conduit needs earthing?, the guy at the builders merchant told me to connect the earth to it as it was now in the new regs.
    Thanks
    ps trust you are well & ready for xmas

2. supersparky

supersparky New Member

Surface or in the wall? if its in the wall, no, but you would usualy thread the end and stick it into a metal box, the metal box would be earthed, explain the situ and i can give you more advice

BR

3. refurb

refurb New Member

The cables are into a metal box, earthed, and I have covered with metal sheathing running vertical and horizontal.
    The sheathing is not inside the boxes, resting on top.

2nd question
    If I buy a 80amp fuse for the distribution board can I run the 25mm tails and 16mm earth to my 2nd cu 6 metres away and would 80amp be suffient to serve all the electrics in a standard 3 bed house? if so where could I get a 80amp fuse?
    Thanks

4. supersparky

supersparky New Member

5. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

SS I was interested in this thread cause I have a switchfuse at the meter tails go to a 60amp breaker then the cable 10mm t&e goes 10 metres via dodgy looking connector to the CU. Sound OK?

6. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

By dodgy looking connector I mean one that I used to know as a screw cap type where the wires are twisted together then a ceramic cap is screwd over

7. Milton Bradley

Milton Bradley New Member

That Screwcap Connector went out of fashion many decade ago,doe to the dangers involved, perhaps your wiring is obsolete and in urgent need of replacement, see if you have any (3/.029) or (7.029) cable, (Conductors are tinned in colour)in your wiring - it may need to be ripped out and replaced in it's entirety!

8. woodsmith

woodsmith New Member

Thanks MB, this is a barn conversion 5 yrs old, NCB cert, done by a sparks