Supersparky, help

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by refurb, Nov 20, 2003.

1. refurb

refurb New Member

Hiya mate

Have you any experience with underfloor heating, I have a silly shaped kitchen/utility room and was wondering if the cable and thermostat from Penguin is the best, what is the fuse needed for the connection, does the themostat fit into a single back box and finally how do you actually wire the cable to the thermostat to the mains?
    Thanks

2. chtechie

chtechie Member

I see BR must have gone for his Horlicks as he's not replied?
    Normally use the 'Warmup' cable myself - Fuse depends on wattage of cable you use - I use a dual accessory box one side I put either a switched fused spur on an RCD spur and the other the thermostat - The box is 35mm deep and the stat fits easily (you may need to bend the top & bottom lugs flat). Most manufacturers recommend an RCD and at £25 I don't see a reason not to use one if there's not one in your CU.

3. supersparky

supersparky New Member

Well, ive only had to install underfloor heating once or twice so i dont know what the best makes are, i do have a catalogue which has penguins webby; http://www.penguineurope.com
    you will need it on a fused connection unit for a load of up to 3120 watts(i doubt it will go higher than that)(the equation is watts divided by volts which will give you the wattage, if you tell me what this comes to when you add up the total load, ill tell you what fuse you need as they come in different kits, ie one kit might be 150 watt per sq meter(this would be 150 * the amount of meters squared it is covering divided by 240 to give you the load in amps).
    i think you can get a flush theremostat, which would need a 35mm deep single box(i would think) their technical section will be able to help you on that
    from the fused conn, the cable will go to the thermostat, which is wired to a probe in the floor and the heating element, as far as i can see you cant cut the heating wire, it just clips into the thermostat so you wont have to worry about wireing, if you do, it will be like coaxal cable and the outer braid will be negative and the inner core will be connected to phase.

Hope this helps, unfortunatly you have pickedthe one thing i dont have much experience of

BR

4. supersparky

supersparky New Member

the equation is watts divided by volts which will give you the <u>Amps</u>
    not what i wrote which was;
    the equation is watts divided by volts which will give you the wattage

DOH!
    BR

5. refurb

refurb New Member

Thanks to you both for your advise

6. supersparky

supersparky New Member

BLODY ELL!!! dident even see that chtechie had got there before me!! grrrrr X-(!!

BR

7. chtechie

chtechie Member

I left the post for 20 mins before I replied - I thought you'd gone for a night cap.