Supply and metering to flats

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by graham3232, Jan 8, 2013.

1. graham3232

graham3232 New Member

Hi all,
    Just after opinions here.  I?m managing a block of 14 flats (maintenance and electrical).   Converted and wired in 1996 from a 1907 hotel.  5 storeys and concrete floors.  All flats have electric showers, dual immersion heaters and storage heaters.  Meter cupboard is ok but there are no isolators between meters and flats and all cutout fuses in sealed box.  Some of the ?meter tails? are 20 meters or longer (all 16mm double insulated and earth 10mm).  But they run all over the building without any additional protection or adequate support.  Is this common installation practice for the 90s? Should the DNO or meter fitter put isolators in?

Also the incoming supply is fed from 2 separate 8 way cutout boards each fed by a 185mm 3 core cable which were installed from the substation 400m away at a cost of £17K back in 1996 (got copy of supply details from developer)  I?m no expert on DNO regs but it seems overkill?

Graham

2. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

185mm 3C waveform is good for up to 400A per phase so if you have two of these cables entering your property then you certainly have the max LV capacity any DNO could offer.

Bargain at £17K, Small Hotels would kill for that capacity!

3. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

I would like to see KMF's between the LV room so to speak and the incomer to the Boards in the flats

It would not be too much hassle to fit these on removal of the suppliers fuse.

On return they will re-seal with no questions, guranteed!