Supply to Outbuilding

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by milliamp, Dec 17, 2003.

1. milliamp

milliamp New Member

I have a small outbuilding that has one socket in it, for a tumble dryer (no lighting) The cable supplying the socket is 2.5mm T+E run underground in a plastic duct, over a distance of approximately 15 feet. In the consumer unit the cable is connected to the RCD side of the split load consumer unit via a 16A MCB.
    Now for the problem, the RCD started tripping out and carried on tripping until the MCB for the outbuilding was switched off. This indicated a fault on the outbuilding circuit. So, I removed the socket to check for moisture ingress and found none. I then left the socket disconnected and tried to re-energise the circuit, but the RCD tripped again. To me, this indicates a cable fault. It will be very difficult to replace this cable and I would like to know if I can transfer the cable over to the non RCD protected side of the consumer unit, and then install an RCD protected socket in the outbuilding. I would also like to 'megger' the cable before transfering it in the consumer unit and would like to know what an acceptable insulation value would be.
    Please can you tell me if what I propose is ok?

2. supersparky

supersparky New Member

right, Firstly, NO cant go on non rcd, against regs and its only doing its job, dont bother meggering, the cable is shot, you need a piece of 2.5 3core swa, or re do the t&e

BR

3. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

....It will be very difficult to replace this cable....

Why?

Can't you just use the old one to pull the new one through?

4. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Tell you what mate,whacking 5ooVDC through that cable as SS says wont do no good in the slightest,you have already ascertained that the cable is N.F.G.due to the RCD tripping, whip it out and run PVC/SWA as discussed,what would be the point in putting your socket on the non-rcd side apart from risking getting a bolt??...:(