Supporting worktop when Joining at 90 degree angle help!

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by portlanders, Jan 30, 2018.

1. portlanders

portlanders Member

Missus instructed me to take out 500mm base unit to fit washing machine in to instead.

No problem but now have 500mm worktop to fit over 600mm washing machine. Missus has no problem with the 100mm of washing machine showing, but how can i support the open end of the worktop?

Worktop is 38mm chipboard laminate .

The worktop we have is still available from wickes / travis perkins but it's £47 for 3m and i would only need a little more than 600mm and i would only have a 15mm gap from the washing machine to the cooker next to it.

I've got the battening to the rear wall which will support the back of the worktop, was thinking if battening the underside of the worktop to the existing worktop would support the weight? Or is there an L bracket that would help, without the \ diagonal support as no room.
    I've seen the worktop joining bolts so could use these, but would they be substantial enough, perhaps with the battening on the underside they would?

Any advice much appreciated 20180130_195843.jpg

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Next to a cooker.:(

3. portlanders

portlanders Member

Yeah, nothing in the manuals to say it's a problem.

4. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

Those cookers don't burn adjacent things do they? So go get the new worktop for your 600 and put an end panel on for the support. Keep the 2m for spares(for when the missus wants to change things again).

portlanders likes this.
  5. portlanders

portlanders Member

yep, looks like the only way, was hoping for a cheaper alternative.

i guess joining bolts is the solution for joining to the existing worktop? a drill, and a chisel, and should be able to cut a housing for them.

6. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

I would assume there, that you will be butting up against the existing (rounded)edge, so using a joiner. So brackets or batten would be the order of the day. Bolts are really for keeping 2 exact cuts together. If using a joiner strip, not important.

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

New worktop, council house joiner and you're sorted.

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  8. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Very helpful advice chippie.

9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

That's the correct method.

New bit of worktop.

Metal joining strip.

All sorted.

:)

Perhaps an end panel or a few bits of wood to pack in between top of washing machine and worktop to stop it sagging. :D

chippie244 likes this.