Supporting worktop with end panels

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by andyb145, Sep 8, 2021.

1. andyb145

andyb145 New Member

Hi all - we’ve been trying to find a stacking kit for our washing machine and tumble dryer in our understairs cupboard (see photo - excuse the mess) but so far haven’t found anything that will work. As an alternative, we’re planning on putting a bit of kitchen worktop offcut above the washing machine, and sitting the tumble dryer on that.

The cupboard is 700mm wide, and I was planning on screwing an end panel to either wall, and then sitting the worktop on top of the end panels (fixed down with some L brackets).

Do you think that will provide sufficient support for the tumble dryer? Or do you think I need to batten the back wall and/or get some supporting legs too?

thanks in advance!

andy

01029551-813D-4B99-8E78-F6E233AE41CF.jpeg

2. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

I don’t think I would trust some end panels ~18mm thick if you could double them up or use worktop to make an ‘n’ shape that would be fine

3. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Batten on the left hand wall and back then an end panel to the right will be more than adequate.

4. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

5. andyb145

andyb145 New Member

6. andyb145

andyb145 New Member

Can you explain what you mean by “use worktop to make an ‘n’ shape” please? Sorry if I’m being thick

7. andyb145

andyb145 New Member

Thanks longboat, that’s reassuring. Think I’ll go end panel either side of the washing machine and batten at the back, for belt and braces

8. woodbutcherbower

woodbutcherbower Well-Known Member

I've fitted upwards of 500 kitchens - with a certain small proportion of customers facing the same dilemma as you. The simple fact is that tumble dryers weigh next to nothing, and realistically don't need separate support from panels, shelves, stacking kits or anything similar. I have (from memory) done at least a dozen installations where the dryer has just been planted directly on the top of the washer - usually inside an adapted tall carcass with suitable tall end panels and often doors to conceal the appliances. Zero issues - as long as the washer is firmly planted and 100% levelled, and that there's no vibration or jumping about when it's on a spin cycle. Some of these 'stacks' were done 10+ years ago, and all is still good. I know - because I regularly get asked back to do additional work in these houses. I attached a pic of a customer's utility room I did a few months back (doors sadly closed so you can't see what's going on - what was I thinking?) - but the left-hand set of doors open to reveal a washer with a tumble dryer sat on top of it. I'd be more than happy to phone this customer tomorrow and ask her to take a photo with the doors open.

w.jpg

koolpc likes this.
  9. DaveF

DaveF Active Member

Yes, it's a good plan and will work fine. Tumble driers are really light. No problem supporting that weight.

10. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

I would batten on all three sides - use 50x25. The front right may be a little short but provided you fix battens and top together it will not be an issue. Cut the front edge at 45 degrees, and sand on a curve at teh bottom - it will disappear visually.

11. andyb145

andyb145 New Member

Thanks FlyByNight. The walls at the back and right of the cupboard are plasterboard (with limited studwork), so I’m nervous on relying entirely on battens.

12. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Decent plasterboard fixings such as the Fischer Duopower toggle and any studs you can find should do it. Or if you are still uncertain, a couple of legs under the battens.