SureStop Warning

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by cardigan29, Jun 20, 2018.

1. cardigan29

cardigan29 New Member

Had a SureStop fitted for a few years.

Came home last week to find the main body (not the pushfit ends) had come apart and flooded the whole house.

Ironic given the fact that if I had not had it fitted the house would not now need new flooring throughout not to mention everything else!

Given the damage water can do then even if these devices work 99% of the time it is not worth the risk.

Attached Files:

Ben48 and Jitender like this.
  2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

How old is the unit?

Just a bit worried now as I have one installed in my flat :(

Don't think my ones looks like this, maybe been revisions?

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Don't like them or trust them,would never have one fitted,known a few peeps who have had problems with them failing.

https://community.screwfix.com/threads/sure-stop.146548/#post-1613363

Ben48 likes this.
  4. cardigan29

cardigan29 New Member

It's certainly been in for over 5 years, I can't quite remember exactly.
    I have seen plumbers comment on them on other forums saying they have been out to ones leaking or simply not working when they need to.
    Others have said they have fitted dozens.
    New designs may or may not be better but in my opinion if I had any other fitted in any other house then I would be looking at getting them ripped out.
    The flood costs will run into a few thousand pounds in the end and months of hassle.
    If a device like this is not 100% reliable then there is no place for it.
    You may be lucky and never have a problem though.

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Just taken a photo of my one in place. It was installed in 2015.

Look slightly different to yours as has 4 screws securing the top section, on your one it has plastic retaining clips where one has broken. But the screws are cording on the top

I installed one at the time as thought like everyone else a good idea, ans the first place I saw one was in a local housing authority flat.

upload_2018-6-22_21-45-42.png

6. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Always seem a bit "plasticky " puts me in mind of the sort of gizmos you see in Betterware catalogues.:D

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Think I will be getting rid of mine.

Hopefully will be re-routing the water mains.