SureStop water switch

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by jumboscruit, Mar 6, 2010.

  1. jumboscruit

    jumboscruit New Member

    What do you plumbers think of these "SureStop" water switches fitted to the mains water supply? I would quite like to add one to my mains water supply.

    I presume you still need a traditional stopcock in the mains water supply, for shut-down in case the SureStop goes wrong.

    Would you need to fit a jumper earth lead if the water pipes all copper? (as the device is plastic). They look easy to install, being push-fit onto the pipes.

  2. Tony Soprano

    Tony Soprano New Member

    What is wrong with traditional stopcock or a full bore lever valve,why complicate things for no reason whotsoever
  3. i never had a problem with them until recently when I needed to turn the water off on a fairly new house but it just didnt work. There was an inaccesible standard stop tap before this but there was no head on it and couldnt be used so to do a simple bit of plumbing I had to use the outside stop tap. I changed it to a standard £4 stop tap and guess what, it works and will do in 20 years time if its maintained(not opened on full lock).

    Why change a system that isnt broke and all that.
  4. Mr Soprano beat me to it there whilst I was writing and obviously has the same idea.
  5. jumboscruit

    jumboscruit New Member

    Think you are right in say traditional brass stop-cock is best, but then you have to consider there are people who would never be able to operate one. My elderly mother has had a "SureStop" installed, and she feels much happier knowing that she can turn off the mains water so easily.

    I have got to get my stop-tap repaired/replaced, as it's jammed on "half-cock" neither open nor shut. Can't get at tap outside as a car is parked on it, and the shut-off needs special tool to operate it. Looks like a plastic cog that needs turning. Southern Water installed it a few years ago. It also turns off my neighbours water supply too, as we have a shared service.

    Hope to get HomeServe round to sort it out soon, as they reckon it's part of their cover.

  6. imran_

    imran_ New Member

    Well the water meter needs a key - either dropped in there or nick one from a neighbours. Good luck on homeserve fixing it, they'll probably tell you it needs a new boiler and powerflush

    Fit a full bore lever. Job done.
  7. i fully understand what your saying about the elderly and all that but its only good if it works. The problems with normal stop taps is people opening them on full lock so there is a metal to metal contact inside. Turn them fully open then back a quarter turn. Or a lever valve as imran has said.
  8. jumboscruit

    jumboscruit New Member

    Thanks for advice. No problems with boiler, as I haven't got one, least not yet. Another big outlay for the future.

    Perhaps I will just stick to the stop-tap, and get it fixed. Any uncontrollable leak would be covered by HomeServe insurance. "Plumber on site within two hours"!

    Might lash out on one of those water alarms you can get now, to tell you if your washing machine springs a leak. Also be handy if your local river floods!

    Perhaps you could set that alarm into your computer so you could monitor your house whilst away. Perhaps I'm getting a bit carried away?

  9. plumb.bob

    plumb.bob New Member

    [i]Thanks for advice. No problems with boiler, as I haven't got one,

    Thats not likely to stop them!
  10. Dick Fuller

    Dick Fuller New Member

    There ok if you dont get them wet son
  11. ThreadJacker

    ThreadJacker Active Member

    I bought two of the remote versions a couple of years ago (half price offer) and they've just been sat in the bottom of my ballvalve box since then, but I have reason to fit one in a house that has just flooded because the stop tap was inaccesable and seized.

    I was due to fit it tomorrow so earlier today I tested one in the garage to satisfy myself they were reliable and it leaked from the 4mm pushfit tubes in the switch end.

    I tried the other one and that didn't leak but is failed to shut the water off properly. :(

    Shame really, good idea in principle but poor design at least on the early ones. Won't be able to fit them again thought now.
  12. essex-fitter

    essex-fitter New Member

    I always thought these were a good idea, until I recently worked on some flats down the road to me. They are only four years old, all fitted with these switches. Out of the three flats I worked on only one worked! the other two where a nightmare to work on as the stopcock was behind the kitchen units and inaccessible, until I turned off the supply to all the flats, I would never consider using them now.
  13. ThreadJacker

    ThreadJacker Active Member

    Its also worrying these devices have WRAS approval.

    jumboscuit, were the ones you mentioned all remote versions?

    Maybe the fixed switched ones are more reliable? I worked in a house this morning which had one on and it worked a dream.
  14. mdmx33

    mdmx33 New Member

    I don’t use the remote ones as I doubt the reliability of the capillary tubes after a few years. The fixed ones are good and work a treat. Imran said used a lever valve, sounds like good advice to me :eek:
  15. essex-fitter

    essex-fitter New Member

    The ones I referred to earlier that didn't work were the remote ones, don't know if the direct ones are more reliable...
  16. I've fitted one recently and it works great. I don't know if it'll stand the test of time though.
  17. plumberboy

    plumberboy Well-Known Member

    They are cr@p,LEAKY LEAKY:(

Share This Page