Suspect heat exchanger on combi boiler

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Sparky27, Jul 8, 2020.

?

New heat exchanger

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sparky27

Sparky27 New Member

Hi all, long story short...

My boilers been weeping on all 4 of the heat exchanger connections, the washers have completely disinterested. But yesterday my boiler blew a fuse, when I opened it there was noticeable corrosion and limescale. Water had got in the circuit board of the pump located below and shorted out.

I’ve stripped the boiler apart and removed both the pump and heat exchanger... I’m suspecting the heat exchanger may of cracked but unsure weather to order a seal kit for the fittings where I know it was leaking from or if to just order a complete new heat exchanger.

I know it’s hard to tell from pics and obviously can’t power the boiler up to check, I don’t really want to fit it all back together and find out the exchanger is shagged. But would rather not fork out £130 if not needed.

Can anybody tell me what the condition of this thing there’s some obvious marking and I’m wondering if that could be an indication?

TIA...

2. Sparky27

Sparky27 New Member

Pics...

Attached Files:

3. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

First, get a hosepipe on the heat exchanger and check that the flow through both sections is good, then dry out the pump in a warm oven, check insulation to earth. it may be advisable to drill a small hole in the pump motor case at the bottom to let any future water collected out. Shield the windings from the drill bit. Then get and fit new washers, ensure they don't leak and check the heat exchanger for leaks. If you get no joy, or if the pump is U/S, put the £140 towards a new boiler.