SUSPENDED CEILING IN BASEMENT_ ADVICE REQUIRED

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Paulx420, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Paulx420

Paulx420 New Member

HELLO. I HAVE RECENTLY COMPLETED A BASEMENT AND ALL THAT'S LEFT TO DO IS THE CEILING. THE JOISTS ARE BARE. BUT THERE ARE ALOT OF PIPES AND CABLES THAT I WOULD LIKE TO KEEP EASY ACCESS TO. SO RATHER THAN A PLASTERBOARD AND SKIM CEILING I WOULD PREFER A SUSPENDED CEILING. THE MAIN ISSUE IS THE HEADROOM. CURRENTLY I HAVE APPROX 204CM FLOOR TO JOIST DISTANCE. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE ABOUT THE MINIMUM CEILING VOIDS ALLOWED TO FIT A CEILING COMFORTABLY. IDEALLY I CAN AFFORD ABOUT 100MM VOID.

APPRECIATE ANY ADVICE AND EXPERIENCE ON SUCH MATTERS.
    THANSK

2. chippie244

chippie244 Well-Known Member

First of all stop shouting.
    Secondly, why do you want easy access to the pipes and plumbing?

KIAB likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Counter batten ceiling,should give enough space for cables/pipes.

4. Paulx420

Paulx420 New Member

Thanks for the quick reply. Essentially it's a complicated building with a mixture of commercial and residential supplies. The sad part is that it's going to get more complicated. Hence going forward the future tradesmen will love me more if I install an accessible suspended ceiling and it is highly likely they will make comments such as " well planned , who ever done this". CHEERS

5. Paulx420

Paulx420 New Member

Ideally need to get into the ceiling void and joist cavity. Future service and modification are inevitable.
    Thanks.

6. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Active Member

cut plywood to size and cup and screw as a service void if you get stop edge plasterboards beadsfoe edges of plasterboards