SWA 3 way connector

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Mark111, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Mark111

Mark111 New Member

Hi there, I'm looking for some advice and ideas please.

I have a 3 core 10mm armoured cable that I'd like to connect to an outdoor double socket, and then double back on itself to go elsewhere. The cable is pretty thick and so a connector/socket won't accept two 10mm wires. I can't think of a solution or product (prefer over-ground) that will allow a three way connection. I presume I want to avoid using a standard wire thickness to connect the 10mm wires as that would defeat the purpose of having used the 10mm cable? Any thoughts anyone?

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Why are you using 10mm swa? Got a few meters spare of something?

3. Mark111

Mark111 New Member

I'm using it as an extension cable from the house (>80m) to power a few things in the shed. Probabably overkill, but that's where I am with it. Any suggestions?

4. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

What exactly are you hoping to achieve? Your not really telling us enough about what your actually trying to do apart from connect a socket to a length of 10mm swa.

5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

The size of the swa is excellent with respect to 80 meter run, however don't understand nuffing else tbqh.

6. Mark111

Mark111 New Member

Does this help explain things? (attached?)

My main issue is how to connect three 10mm wires.

Attached Files:

7. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Not really mate. Where is "from" and where is "to"? ie what is this already supplying?

8. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Where is supply from ? What else is it feeding

9. Mark111

Mark111 New Member

It's basically an extension cable FROM the house, TO a shed powering power tools, lights etc. From there it is just to go further down the garden to a glasshouse to power e.g. 3kw heater, propagator, radio.

10. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

A Wiska Box - IP66 140 x 140 x 82mm - Black 57 Amp from TLC

11. Mark111

Mark111 New Member

Thanks Comlec, but how would I connect inside the box? The terminals would still only accept one 10mm wire per hole, right?

Take just the live wire as an example. I can't think of a configuration that wouldn't need two wires in one terminal at some point. Or would it be ok to use a standard diameter wire to connect them?

12. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Two ways (I've done loads):

1) Pratley Box.
    Probably best for overground.
    https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/PRABX23.html

2)Resin joint.
    Generally seen buried, but no reason not to have it overground. You can bury the joint if it's too unsightly for you.
    They're basically bulletproof. You can get ones larger than the one below to suit a 10mm secondary branch.
    https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SWJKT1.html

[edit] Either way, when you're doing your first one you'll be needing a stiff drink halfway through ;) [/edit]

[edit 2] The resin joints you can do live. Or the DNO boys do at any rate. ;) :eek: [/edit]

13. Mark111

Mark111 New Member

Perfect Stateit, thank-you.

So in either option do you just use through crimps to join the wires (3 into 1)? Do they accept 2 wire in one end? The 'resin joint' states 'The straight through kits do not include connectors'.

14. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

The Pratley boxes use line taps (supplied). The resin joints I get from my independant wholesaler come with their own connectors. I don't know why the TLC ones don't (I used TLC as an easily sourced example)

The resin joints are 'Y' shaped, or more like a straight joint with an angled branch.
    Here's an example of one with all bits included: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Branch-Y...nt-KIT-10-16mm-2-3-4-Core-Cable-/281116792022

[edit] If you don't have much slack in the original cable though, then you only get one chance at it. Unless you want to extend the existing cable with more joints...[/edit]

15. Mark111

Mark111 New Member

Got it, thank you (and all) very, very much for your help. I really appreciate it.

16. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

I think the "to and from" here are important. When asked where the cable is coming from, we were not expecting an answer "the house". What size MCB? Is it RCD protected etc. For example, if you were using a 40amp MCB, you cannot just loop this cable via a socket. A better description of what you intend to do is needed, including every detail, not just "from house to shed via a socket".

17. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Use a 'Henley' service connector in a waterproof box, lots of room for larger cables and not expensive.

18. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Why not do it properly with a Pratley Box or resin joint? It's what they are made for.

19. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

This asker is a new member, I am not sure if he is an electrician. He may not be able to make a resin compound joint or have the crimpers for the connection. Yes, the box you suggest will do it and is probably the trade accepted method. A Henley block and box is just another way.

20. Mark111

Mark111 New Member

Thank you very much for the Henley service connector idea....I will investigate.

I asked about a Pratley box at an independent wholesalers and they said it would be too small, fiddley, and difficult to connect three 10mm cables? How would you connect inside the box?