SWA in Plastic CU from the rear

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by GeordieKev, Jul 11, 2019.

1. GeordieKev

GeordieKev New Member

Sorry if it is confusing, I tried to be as clear as possible. I was hoping to see what peoples opinions on pulling the cable through the wall and then attaching the SWA via a 6mm to the earth block. But seeing as the amount this has thrown up, I will probably just add another box terminate the SWA there and run a cable through. The reason for the questions was electrically it's no different, all i would lose is the mechanical part of it which as it buried isn't an issue.

2. peter palmer

peter palmer Well-Known Member

This is what I meant, sort of.

001.jpg

3. peter palmer

peter palmer Well-Known Member

How are you going to attach the armour to the 6mm (I presume single earth wire)?

4. GeordieKev

GeordieKev New Member

Thanks for the image, that's the way I was going to do it, although it would be a 6mm as the earth should be the same as the cable size.
    I was thinking on using a connector block, again I know it's not standard but as long as all the strands of the SWA are in then no difference electrically anyway

5. ajohn

ajohn Well-Known Member

I think Peter has shown a metal box on the outside wall with swa terminated onto it with a gland. The gets the armour connected to the box. You could also use the banjo for the 4mm earthing or a connection in the box if it has one. Then take that 4mm earth to the cu. The swa with the armour removed could be fed through the wall. Then split and connected. As it's 3 core you have your 6mm earth. The armour is steel so resistance is higher. 4mm cable probably has a lower / similar resistance so no point in using anything thicker.

Or you could go cable through the wall barrier strip and connect to swa cables and also earth to the metal box.

John
    -

6. GeordieKev

GeordieKev New Member

Yeah that's the way I seen it. I was going for the 6mm as I have it already from a job at work and saves explaining it if they ask why it's smaller. But cheers for the reply.

7. Coloumb

Coloumb Well-Known Member

yadda yadda yadda go argue with yourself dobbie it's boring