SWA termination by a tree

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Kirby Castle, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Kirby Castle

Kirby Castle New Member

Customer wants an outside light fitted to illuminate a tree in their driveway. Any ideas for mounting the SWA termination box - I can only think of either a short concrete post or a piece of marine ply mounted with some sort of banding around the trunk of the tree. Steve

2. fooman

fooman New Member

screw it to the tree trunk ;)

Pete Jones likes this.
  3. wally

wally Screwfix Select

or a piece of treated wooden post 4x4 or 4x6, worked ideal for low level bulkheads & swa plastic enclosures.
    Sockets for garden pond pumps in middle of nowhere etc often do this. If treated well enough they have a good life, fitted some in 1984, still ok.

4. acca dacca

acca dacca New Member

Give the squirrels a bit of warning first,tho..;)

5. acca dacca

acca dacca New Member

Customer wants an outside light fitted to illuminate
    a tree in their driveway. Any ideas for mounting the
    SWA termination box - I can only think of either a
    short concrete post or a piece of marine ply mounted
    with some sort of banding around the trunk of the
    tree. Steve

Thats weired,ive got to do the exact same thing on Tuesday for the first time...:)

6. fooman

fooman New Member

Thats weired,ive got to do the exact same thing on
    Tuesday for the first time...:)

isnt it just :^O

bet your going to pop along to do the job in your Toyota Hilux as well like on top gear ;)

7. acca dacca

acca dacca New Member

No just me old boxer van,nice those Toyota mind.see the price of the tyres!!!;)

8. fooman

fooman New Member

yeah you would not want to have to buy 4 of them :(

9. Rear Entry

Rear Entry New Member

or a piece of treated wooden post 4x4 or 4x6,

I rewired a church, installed 2 x 250w MH floods in the grave yard, used 4x4" oak posts, nicely routed, treated and concreted in....

Both fittings got nicked a week later, but posts were fine so I replaced fittings (for an additional charge :)

10. wally

wally Screwfix Select

I rewired a church, installed 2 x 250w MH floods in
    the grave yard, used 4x4" oak posts, nicely routed,
    treated and concreted in....

Both fittings got nicked a week later, but posts were
    fine so I replaced fittings (for an additional charge
    :)

I recon the occupants might have nicked them cause they coud'nt get any sleep

11. Rear Entry

Rear Entry New Member

na, *... was interesting digging the trench tho !

[Edited by: admin5]

12. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Why not use the technique of a SWA gland on the cable, but not fixed to anything - just waving around in mid-air?

I'm sure I've seen some pro sparky here advocating that, so it must be OK.... ;)

13. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Concrete block sunk in the ground, with light rawl bolted to this - use a decent make of metal halide, and gland directly into the metal halide.

I did some lights around the perimeter of a courtyard recently, and sunk one block onto a bed of concrete, and fitted two lights on one slab - each one facing almost back to back. Should have taken some photos!

SWA into first light, flexi conduit from one light to the next (about a foot of it) and then swa out of the last light and onto the next pair.

Make sure the flood light you get is IP rated for use looking UPWARDS! Many are not when you look in the instructions! Also, get a decent make, as you are going to cover the conconcrete block with an inch if soil, the bracket will be in the ground - *** ones would rot quickly.

Dont even think of using a crappy £5 halogen - it will last months. First Light do some proffesional halogens if you feel you want to go that route.

[Edited by: admin5]