Swapping out a double socket for a single and fused spur

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Florry44, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Florry44

Florry44 New Member

I have been trawling the internet but to no avail so I thought I would ask the people in the know!

I have a double socket in the kitchen which is flush mounted and tiled around. I need to swap this for a single and fused spur (for boiler in cupboard next door) I could plug the boiler in directly but this would be unsightly and I do have a route behind the tiles into the back of the double box, if this makes sense.
    So I can't change the back box due to tiles, is there a double size outlet, half socket and half fused spur anywhere out there?

Thanks in advance

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

No there isn't. What you need is a dual back-box but it is a bit wider than the double one so you'll need to chisel a bit of tile and plaster away. The other way, if you don't want to chop the tiles and wall about would be to fit a single surface box close to the existing double socket and put the fused spur in there, although you will of course still have to chop a bit of tile out to get the cable in but at least it will be covered by the surface box.
    Much better to do it properly with a dual box I reckon.

FatHands likes this.
  3. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

Maybe he could route a piece of 2.5mm2 cable from the socket to near the boiler and put the FCU near the boiler as a spur from the ring(assuming it is a ring).

I agree with Seneca though, Much better to chop out and fit a dual box.

4. daver34

daver34 Member

Click do mini grid 13a fused module, add 20a switch module & socket module with 2gang plate 4aperture.

5. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

If you can route a cable in from behind, make it a 2.5, and put the FCU beside the boiler.

6. Florry44

Florry44 New Member

Thanks guys for your replies, cutting out for new box is not an option as walls are tiled. Daver, I have looked on the scolmore web site and can't find a socket anywhere, hundreds of switches but no socket. Lectrician, this is the easy option, but access to the switch would be hard, I always think you should have good access to FCU, just in case the worse ever happens

7. Florry44

Florry44 New Member

Just had a thought, could I use a 45a cooker switch, and then have an unswitched fused connector unit with the correct fuse for the boiler tucked away next to the boiler?

8. daver34

daver34 Member

Scolmore pdf

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...1KZzr546re9ZNtWT3NnoEgA&bvm=bv.57155469,d.d2k

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  9. wally

wally Screwfix Select

Its not really a problem fitting an accessory into tiles. Stick some tape around the size of hole you want & mark the lines on it. Use a new 5.5mm durium drill bit & drill holes to a depth of what you want (not on hammer until you reach the wall behind the tiles). Always drill the corner ones first & carefully chip out (minding your eyes) As long as your tiles have adhesive behind them & not hollow in places you should have no problems.

10. Florry44

Florry44 New Member

Thanks again for everyone's comments, I do like the look of the mini grid stuff, maybe a few quid more but a lot less hassle than digging out and then having too retile the kitchen.