swimming pool earthing

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by mark24, Oct 4, 2007.

1. mark24

mark24 New Member

Hello

Ive been wiring swimming pools,no problem, each pool has a small garden shed near it which i put a garage rcd dis board and and earth stake all circuits to the pool are low voltage so its fine. But ive been asked to do some spa baths with only require a 16amp commando on a rcd adjacent to the spa for it to plug into. The problem is ive been told is that when someone gets out of the bath they recieve a small shock off the floor when wet. Ive have been taking the earth from the house for these commandos, do you think the best bet is to bang a stake in for a single commando or? Anyone get any suggestions.

2. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Hello mate

***** you got an issue there regarding shock risk upon exit/entry from that pool.

I would suggest what ever job you have on,STOP,get round there and rectify it.

Also have a look at page 94 GN8 regarding suppliers means of earthing..

SiFi

3. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

just re-read its the Spa not the pool..

4. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

It's steak or stake time again boys!

Exportation of cpc's from indoors can lead to differentiation between the exported CPC and 'true earth'.

Staking down the exported CPC at the remote DB with a Rod will eliminate this. ;)

5. 2 wheeled ant

2 wheeled ant New Member

Got to class it as TT

Ant

6. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

> Got to class it as TT

Ant

Pray tell why?

7. ally1957

ally1957 New Member

Fank thuck we don't live in California if this is the best you lot can come up with, Geezus H

8. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

This is classed as 'percieved shock' - a difference in potential between true MOTHER earth (soil, ground, grass) and the PME earth.

This is likely to be only a low percentage of the actual phase volts, but to a wet, sensitive person standing bare foot etc etc....

There have been numerous cases of this in my area on a tangent.....

A typical surfer walks home from the beach, wearing wet suit with bare feet. He walks up to the outside tap to wash his board and hose himself down before going inside...... Bare feet on patio, touches the tap which is bonded to the PME.....

There has long been a recommendation that a plastic insert is fitted on pipework to outdoor taps......rarely done though!

9. MR DIAZ

MR DIAZ Active Member

A typical surfer walks home from the beach, wearing
    wet suit with bare feet. He walks up to the outside
    tap to wash his board and hose himself down before
    going inside...... Bare feet on patio, touches the
    tap which is bonded to the PME.....

Where i live you don´t need wetsuits but thanks for the mention ;)

10. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

> Where i live you don´t need wetsuits but thanks for
    the mention ;)

Now that depends on which 'Water Sports' ya in to! ;)