Swing Chains.

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by drawllimuk, Jul 1, 2013.

1. drawllimuk

drawllimuk New Member

Hi peeps.

I hope someone can help me. I have recently built a pergola over my deck and my wife would like a swing chair in one corner suspended from the double beams that I already have in place. Now I know that our cousins from over the pond seem to be into 'porch swings' but not so big on it over here. Mainly because I guess we don't really get the weather to justify one!! I have an old garden two seater swing chair that I am currently giving a new lease of life to. My question is though is weather it would be better to get the porch swing chains and springs imported or wether it would be just as cost efficient to buy everything here in the uk. I had a quote for a complete set of chains and hooks + comfort springs for around £50. I don't mind paying slightly more than that if I can source stuff locally (ie the UK!!) but I am concerned about MRL on chains etc. The imported ones state 550lbs (249kg) MRL which seems a bit OTT but I would rather overspec than under!! So that's my dillema that I hope someone can help with!!

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Not sure what you mean by MRL, in Britain you tend to get a SWL which is a Safe Working Load or a breaking strain which is the load at which the component will fail.

For a suspended load you should allow 8 times the dead load weight so if it's a 2 seater swing I would allow 2 x 100Kg x 8 plus a bit more for the dynamic load so a braking strain of at least 2 tonnes.

That is total load so halve as two chains are used.

£50 sounds good

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If it were me, I be using solid flat bar.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select