Swirl shower bar installation question

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Howard Woolley, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Howard Woolley

Howard Woolley New Member

I just bought the screwfix Swirl thermostatic mixer shower valve code 55206 and swirl bar valve wall mount fixing kit 8669H to replace an old shower bar that no longer works. The threaded adapters that screw onto the fixing plate leak when I connect the bar. The mixer comes supplied with an S elbow that I notice has a deeper recess inside than the adapters that come with the fixing kit. I am thinking that this kit is not compatible with the shower bar. Much appreciated if anyone has any wise comments to help with this, thanks

2. terrymac

terrymac Well-Known Member

I think you maybe doing something wrong. The wall mount kit is for fixing onto rigid copper pipe. The dog leg shape connectors that come with the valve are not used at all ??

3. teabreak

teabreak Well-Known Member

Should be a washer between the shower and offset adaptor if both threads are the same ( not tapered) you will need loads of ptfe tape on them where they screw into the wall a few turns will do nothing, try locktite 55 cord or loads of tape.

4. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

There is a design issue as I had the same problem a few weeks back. Rental property with a bar mixer that I installed a few years back had gone faulty. I always use the fast fit mounts so you can swap the mixer out in minutes if needs be. After much cursing, I took it back and Bought a different model which mated perfectly with, the mounts. 10 min job turned into over an hour, especially annoying as it was an after work job!

5. teabreak

teabreak Well-Known Member

I did the same myself but you do need to cut out a lot of wall to do it, the idea of the offset adaptors is to give some leeway in reusing an existing set of pipes.

6. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

I'd already used the easy shower mounts when I'd originally fitted the first bar mixer because it makes swapping out a faulty shower a,doddle, especially important in rental properties when tenants are breathing down your neck. The Swirl mixer does not work with the mounts, and is the first one I've encountered that doesnt.

7. Howard Woolley

Howard Woolley New Member

Great thanks for the replies! Much appreciated that you take the time :)