Switch and Permanent live on PIR emergency

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Arben, Jul 15, 2021.

1. Arben

Arben New Member

I'm replacing a plain bulkhead with a PIR emergency that is fed by single cores in conduit, so the power goes to the switch before the luminaire. I know emergencies would normally be 3 core and earth but, as the light operates on a PIR is there any need for a normal switching line and switch just to stop the PIR from operating?

If I replace the existing switch with an emergency test switch, could I put a short jumper of cable from the 'emergency live' terminal into the 'live' terminal so that the light operates permanently on the PIR but will operate on battery in the event of a power failure or operation of the test switch?

Look forward to your thoughts. Thanks.

2. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Do as you propose Change the switch to a key operated switch and loop the supply across the terminals

3. Arben

Arben New Member

Thanks Bob. I thought it made sense but then it seemed too simple and I wondered if I was missing something. Good to have it confirmed.