switch to lamp

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by spitz, Dec 6, 2018 at 10:19 AM.

1. spitz

spitz New Member

After redoing kitchen I have a 2 way switch that is in perfect place for an undercabinet light. The switch controls kitchen display lighting along with other switch at other end of kitchen. Is it possible to change this switch to a light powered by the other 2 way switch? I have left the old rocker in place so wires are identifiable. See pic posted
    thanks

Attached Files:

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

It looks like you have a neutral there in that block connector so you should be ok.

3. spitz

spitz New Member

Ok,need neutral and live for lamp but can"t get it to come on from other 2 way switch with rest of undercabinet lights.
    cheers

4. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Active Member

have you got a multimeter so you can test if the neutral is connected somewhere.

5. spitz

spitz New Member

Yes mate, what do I need to test?

6. spirits are real 2016

see if you've got 240 volts at that switch by placing one lead on the neutral and one on the live connections at the switch if there still connected at the other switch. Try each red wire but becareful your testing live cables.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 6:45 PM
  7. spitz

spitz New Member

rocker with wires still works and turns the display lights on/off and 2 way works.

8. spitz

spitz New Member

red wire in com is coming in live, others aren't.

9. spirits are real 2016

so you've got power at the switch so you need to find out if the neutral is connected that is the one in the connecter block. One red test lead on common and the other black on the neutral wire in block.

10. spitz

spitz New Member

they don't bell out if that is what you meant

11. spirits are real 2016

do you have a digital display on multimeter