Switch with neon light.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by geoff.c, Jun 15, 2018.

1. geoff.c

geoff.c New Member

Hi. I have a downstairs loo with the light switch outside the door and it keeps getting left on. I am about to replace all the switches and sockets downstairs with the Screwfix brushed ones. Is it possible to install a 20a dp switch with neon light for the existing standard switch? Many thanks

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Yes but the neon won't work unless there's a neutral present whether you use a DP or SP switch.

3. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Or you can connect the end to the Earth rather than the Neutral.

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Naughty naughty Spin! ;)

KIAB likes this.
  5. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Oh it’s you that bu££ers up my EICRs is it?

KIAB and seneca like this.
  6. geoff.c

geoff.c New Member

Thanks for your help. I realise that the switch is only live in and out. I’ll just keep leaving the light on.

7. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

Just make sure it's a low power bulb. A 5W lamp left on 24/365 would only cost about £5 per year.

8. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Another way, although unconventional is to wire the neon across the switch, this does mean that the neon comes on when the switch is in the off position and vice-versa but it does give an indication so as long as it's only you or someone else that understands it there's no problem.

9. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Only works with incandescants - tungsten and halogen though; not with LED or CFL.

MK actually make a surround to help find switches in the dark with two neons wired across the switch

10. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

I think that's one conventional way with neon locators in MasterSeal switches. If the light is on you don't need the locator. If the light is off you need the locator.