Synchronous 2 port valve gone (again)

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Duffbeer, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Duffbeer

Duffbeer New Member

Hi, wonder if anyone had any input.

recently woke up to the rads not having become warm. Hot water was fine.
    Having done some googling i found the fault to be with the synchronous motor for that zone.
    Bought a new one at screw fix on 6th Feb 2020, the Drayton type which is the USA one supposedly being the most reliable (code 28670)...replaced and it all worked fine until today when once again hot water was working, but the rads were cold again.

the same motor I’ve previously replaced Has stopped working again!

when you manually push the leaver the valve doesn’t seem to be open fully, and neither does it stay there when you engage the lever into the clip. Seems like the valve shuts at least half way (you can hear the throughput amount changing by the circulation pump going into more/less strain when operating the override lever.
    Holding the lever open with my finger pushed against it gets the rads warm.
    The other zones get warm.

I am able to operate the valve itself manually with my finger (ie no pliers required, so this indicates it isn’t stiff or seized).

so, question is:
    Why has the new motor seemingly burnt out in just a month??

is it best to change the whole valve or just the motor again?
    Very weird. Thanks for help.

2. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

I would replace the whole of the head unit, if not the entire valve. Probably the mechanism is stiff.

3. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Is the US unit 115 volt by any chance.