System Boiler - burn, no burn, burn, no burn, burn etc. etc.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Legolas-woodelf, Nov 28, 2021.

1. I have a Ariston 21RFFI system boiler which has worked well for many years. But in the last few days, the burner shuts down after a minute or two, but the pump keeps running, then after a few minutes the burner lights again but then stops again after a minute or two etc. etc. The result is luke-warm radiators and not enough heat power to heat the DHW.

But it seems intermittent. Last night was bad, this morning was fine - nice hot radiators - now this evening it's bad again.

First thought was heat senders, but if I unclip either the regulator heat probe or the high limit probe from their respective pipes (i.e. so they don't get hot) it makes no difference.

I have a guy coming out on Friday to look at it, but am curious to know myself what it could be.

Thanks in advance.
    :)

2. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Could be the flue fan not running due to cold and thick oil on the sleeve bearings. Re lubricate the bearings with thin oil.

3. The fan is running - you can hear it and feel it from the outside of the flue. I also had a look down the flue with a torch from the outside and it's all clear. I guess the fan could be running slowly, but it doesn't sound any different to normal. :/

4. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

sticking bypass?