T-CUTING MY VAN?

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by poshspark, Mar 2, 2008.

1. poshspark

poshspark New Member

I need to t-cut my van as it has been parked under a tree and is covered in orange spots. I have tried using other products but if you know of anything better please let me know. I am wondering is it ok to use a polishing/buffing machine for applying t-cut. The pad I bought today for my machine says sutiable for light compounding, is this what t-cutting is?

2. Hitch.

Hitch. New Member

Compounding uses a harsher abrasive than tcut. Such as g3 paste/liquid. Commonly used for flattening paintwork, blending and similar.
    Its pretty good for severely damaged paintwork, but needs a fair bit of elbow grease to get it back to a shine.

3. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

3m finesse-it, you will need a machine.

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Try rubbing it over with a turps-soaked rag first, before t-cutting.

Mr. Handyandy - really

5. poshspark

poshspark New Member

Thanks for your replys.

So from what you are saying it will be ok to use a polishing/buffing machine to apply t-cut?

6. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

Yes, but take it easy - especially on the edges of panels.

I'd be tempted to first try a polishing machine with something like AutoGlym Super Resin Polish.

Might sound daft, but many of these polishes actually have a very light 'cutting' action and will remove light oxidation, etc. Since you are using a machine - so can afford to put a bit more effort into it - you might, just, get away with using this instead of having to resort to a cutting compound. (And you'd have to buy some polish in any case to finish off the job after the 'cutting'.)

If it works, you'll have given your van a really good waxing at the same time, saving your paint and a lot of hassle. :)

7. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

autoglym and maguiers (if thats how you spell it) are great but for prep work use 3m products, that's what the body shops use!

8. devil's advocate

Hi a-e. I'm sure you're right.

All I was suggesting is, since he'll have to buy and use some wax/polish to finish off in any case, he might as well try it on its own first as it does have a very slight cutting action and, since he's using a motorised mop, he might just get away with using only this - it might save him a lot of work! :)

9. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

trouble is with polishing before cleaning off the cr@p first is you just seal the cr@p under the polish.
    Autoglym super resin is a very good polish though.

10. devil's advocate

The carp might look pretty good sealed under the polish...

(Good point :()

11. poshspark

poshspark New Member

Thanks again for all your suggestions. Iam going to try turps then auto glym hopefully the turps will soften up the spots.

12. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

13. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

for gods sake don't put turps on your car,
    ***!!!!!!!!!
    get some proper gear,
    http://www.autogeek.net/3mfiniimacpo.html

Turps is fine. It's not like soaking brushes in turps to clean fresh paint.
    It's wiped over with a soaked rag. There are more dangerous things in T-cut.

Tar spots are cleaned off with turps. Perfect.

It won't harm cured paint.

Mr. Handyandy - really

14. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

I clean tar spots off with tar remover.

If you want a top finish and are using a machine, you need machine products.

3m, Meguires, Autoglym etc.

15. ^neo^

^neo^ New Member

Meguirs do a clay bar kit which will get the spots off. Then maybe some G10 (farecla) to polish it up.

16. MOONSHINE

MOONSHINE New Member

17. sammy toaster

sammy toaster New Member

go and do some work you dosser.

18. devil's advocate

Yeah, shove off MOONSHINE. What's you doin' on here anyways? Got nothing better to do? Get a life. Post something useful for a change. Get a brain then get a life.

Ad infinitum.

19. devil's advocate

Oops, I mean toaster...

20. RANTER

RANTER New Member

dont be so tight.get a new merc vito for 14 grand then pay some other body to clean it for you,easy.