t+g chipboard flooring joint 'profile'cutter?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by dartl price, Apr 3, 2018.

1. dartl price

dartl price New Member

Hello all,
    Does anyone know the name of the profile t+g 22mm P5 chipboard is cut to?
    Simply, I need to router cut the same tongues and grooves on to chipboard to finish off a barn conversion floor.
    Thanks in advance.. :)

2. Why have you ruined a Barn conversion laying a chipboard floor.
    Nothing to beat doing it correct and laying a timber floor with, either properly seasoned new timber or reclaimed timber.

3. dartl price

dartl price New Member

thanks... I have to finish off the ff 22mm t+g ,where the chipboard sheets do not meet the walls....

4. big all

big all Screwfix Select

profiles vary a lot
    you would need a half inch router and table
    but you dont need to profile the edge as its cut to the wall
    so not sure what you mean

5. dartl price

dartl price New Member

the boards end from 2" to almost 8" from the wall.... the boards were laid straight and true, just a shame that the walls aren't!
    so I have to 'fill in' from the t+g long edge to the walls. i can use the corresponding boards, cutting off the 4" or so strips, but then need to mfr new tongues and grooves.
    or waste the rest of the boards! :-(

Attached Files:

6. big all

big all Screwfix Select

router+table+cutter £300 plus thats assuming you can get a matching cutter
    maybe 2 pack cut to strips rest wasted perhaps £16

7. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

How many board would you need to finish the project if using only one edge of full boards?

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Rip and slot it and use a loose tongue?

longboat and WillyEckerslike like this.
  9. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I'm being dull here, so the last row of laid boards close to the wall have a butt/cut edge exposed? Don't understand you.

10. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I think what he's saying is that the remaining gap would only use a little bit of the next board with the rest being wasted.

11. dartl price

dartl price New Member

12. dartl price

dartl price New Member

exactly, thanks :)

13. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Ah right. In that case use a biscuit jointer coupled with polyurethane glue. Saves faffing about.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  14. If it had been set out properly you would have cut the first boards to fit,even if laying them later.
    There would have been no need to try and cut profiles on boards.
    A lot of extra work has been created.

15. dartl price

dartl price New Member

nope, cant get the biscuit cutter to the boards already laid.... :), only have 4" between the tongues/grooves and the wall...

16. dartl price

dartl price New Member

yes indeed....

17. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Then take up the laid row, remove the tongue/ groove, and cut slots with the jointer, then relay. Or go for your original, or chippies idea.

18. dartl price

dartl price New Member

the existing boards are PU glued down, and along the t+g joints.... we tried with the first one, it disintegrated...:-(

19. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Snap a parallel chalk line from the joint of the last board down the length of the boards allowing the clearance you need, then run a circular saw along a screwed down straight edge the correct depth, to cut through the boards, can take them up without damaging the edges of what's staying.

20. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Run a circular saw along at 45 degrees and lay the new pieces to match using polyurethane glue?