Table Burn

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Gummo, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Gummo

Gummo Active Member

The wife has tried to set fire to our lovely oak table via her oil burner. Any ideas on how to fix/disguise it other than sticking a vase on top?

[​IMG]

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

£2 pound coin?! :D

slippyr4 and Joe95 like this.
  3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

My daughter did the same thing with a tea light.:(:(

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Find a piece of oak & do a dutchman repair.

GoodwithWood likes this.
  5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Haven't done a proper one of them in a long time.

The table is that looks like a veneer, so it may be as simple as finding some veneer, cutting out the damaged section of veneer and fitting a patch - a "dutchman". It will never be a hidden repair so what a lot of people do is to make a "feature" out of it. Sometimes people fit more "patches" to make more of a pattern.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You might be lucky if it's veneered,years ago had a yew table with a burn mark, & the underside was also veneered,so it was simple job to cut a piece out to repair the top.

7. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Don't suppose it is possible to turn the table top over? Is the underside a mirror image of the top and are there many screws holding it on?

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Oil burners and tea lights are real problem for furnishings and trim. My daughter marked my living room plastic window sill a few years ago it has been on the wife's nag list for me to replace - but with a thick timber board and bull nose like the others I have done in the house. However, I have my suspicions - like in Kung Fu Panda upload_2016-12-10_13-43-36.png

Joe95 likes this.
  9. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Accidental damage on house insurance? There are companies out there offering veneer repair services.

10. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Teach the mrs to be more respectful of her furniture